Gamma/Saturation difference between DT and other apps on Mac

Hello, and thanks to all the developers and helpers for the 4.2 release.
I noticed recently a problem and I don’t know if it existed before… When I export a photo from DT in jpg srgb, the exported picture looks washed out in Finder and all other photo software (like PS).
However if I re-import the incriminated file into DT, it looks fine.

I came across this discussion : Darktable on macos: are there bugs with ICC profiles? - #78 by michelegz but I don’t know if it the same issue.

Here are some screenshots:

Screen capture of the raw file after being edited.

The jpg file seen in Mac Finder

The same jpg imported back into darktable.

As a side note, if I try softproofing from DT, there is no visible change in what I see on the screen.

Can anyone help please?

Regards,
Nicolas

What is your output color profile set to?

Yes, sorry. I wanted to expand that too on the screenshot but didn’t : srgb.
Just like to add that it is camera independent.
Strange too that if I use other raw editors (commercial for example), my exported jpg matches the onscreen edited raw file perfectly.

Edit.
If I set the screen profile to Adobe RGB, the image looses quite a lot of colour. I then have to boost saturation in color balance rgb quite a bit.

But then, surprise ! The exported file looks exactly like the darkroom edited image…

So to the new question : Is darktable reading my system display profile correctly ? Is it reading the srgb profile correctly? (The two bring about the same problem).

What is your system display profile set to?

What is the output of darktable-cmstest? I dont know much about mac, but the more information you provide, the best for someone to troubleshoot.

I think this may indicate that DT /MacOS setting to system at the moment might not be providing the proper result. Maybe specify your display profile explicitly by placing in the equivalent of the color/out folder and see if you get both a properly displayed and properly output image??

If I understand things correctly, on MacOS darktable does not use the system display profile, but under this setting renders to sRGB. This is due to a fixed setting in the underlying cairo framework.
MacOS then renders the sRGB-based information to the set system display profile.

The downside of this approach is, that a potential wider gamut of the display would not be utilized. But still the output jpeg should look identical to the screen rendering, so I think something else must be wrong …

Darktable_cmstest unfortunately is not available on the Mac.

This it what it looks like on my iMac. I would say that the output matches the darkroom view.

Top: jpg output to profile sRGB, displayed by Photoshop
Bottom:: darktable in darkroom mode

Thanks for the replies. I have found a partial solution though. I have been using the current OSX Build from this thread : current OSX Build - #613 by homer3018
I rolled back to the official 4.2.0 release and everything becomes correct.
Something must have changed in the code since…

Same here. The exported jpg are the same, but using 4.2 instead of 4.2+118, darktable (both lighttable and darkroom) now matches the exported JPG with sRBG.

2 possible reasons:

• changes in the darktable code - since there’s no issue reported this will be also in the upcoming bugfix release
  • different versions of macports libraries used for the official build - without an issue report no one will investigate :wink:

How would I go about reporting the issue please?

can this issue be reproduced by someone building darktable using homebrew (and gtk 3.24.36)?
If so it seems to be an upstream issue with gtk 3.24.36 if not, the macports build instruction in #66487 (gtk3 menues broken with macos ventura - update needed) – MacPorts

Setting the display profile to the real monitor profile (instead of the generic “system display profile”) seems to resolve the issue.

I think this is a hack and not supposed to work that way - if I understood it correctly, “system display profile” defaults to sRGB on Mac, and the rendering to the monitor’s profile is later done in cairo or macOS.

did a build with the old patch based on gtk 3.24.34 for x86_64: darktable-4.2.0+126~g66b8bc3ea_x86_64 (1).dmg

I have built darktable using Homebrew on my Intel Mac. This package is built right out of the box from the darktable sources by using the homebrew build scripts without an changes.

darktable-4.3.0+488~g59ff35fcfd-i386.dmg

Can someone please test and compare the results so we can see if there are any differences between a MacPorts built and a Homebrew built.

Tested the build with 3.24.34, it’s ok.

Can’t run the homebrew version on my Mac … it reports an incompatible OS version. I’m on 11.7.3.

I still have the issue with version 4.3 provided by zisoft.

thanks for the build - was able to run it on my intel ventura system.
result: seems to be an upstream issue with gtk3 3.24.36 - since your build show the reported behaviour.

so no need to file a darktable issue but a gtk3 issue …

1 Like