Gimp 2.10 plugins

Hi.
How do I get Resynthesizer, Heal Selection and Layer FX to work in Gimp 2.10

Get the source code and compile them!

1 Like

Or you can try using a package that has them bundled already. What OS are you on?

I think @Carmelo_DrRaw has an .appimage bundle that include some of those (at least Resynthesizer and Heal Selection I believe).

1 Like

Hello Ben,
Just about the Resynthesizer, you could maybe wait to have the G’MIC updated and use the Inpaint [patched-based]. As you’ll be able to see, it is very (very) impressive.
I don’t know your emergency so it might not be a solution for you but I hope that helps.
Cheers

2 Likes

Have you tried simply moving the content from GIMP/2.9/plug-ins to GIMP/2.10/plug-ins?

1 Like

I don’t use Resynthesizer, but LayerFX certainly works just fine in Gimp 2.10. I use it quite a bit.

In Windows, the new version of Resynthesizer works (just added it to samj’s portable). Just wish there was a 64-bit version of PSPI but alas, that old filter finally cannot move forward; saddened I am. Even so, thank God for shellout.py; it still works fine. :slight_smile:

Bonjour,
PSPI is maybe a 32-bit plugin. You could try putting it in 32-bit Gimp 2.10 :
\GimpEval-2.10-Win\32bit\Preferences\plug-ins

• start Gimp with \GimpEval-2.10-Win\32bit\GIMP_EN.exe

:o)

Yeah; might try doing that. Also, while you are here, was wondering how to access n-point deformation in GIMP. It’s possible this was not including in your compile for a reason, but just wondering. Also, noticed that the gradient tool icon is missing (reconstructed it from the svg file; no biggy). :slight_smile:

Yes; pspi works in 32-bit version of 2.10x. I guess there’s no compatibility capability with 64-bit GIMP. Still, happy that pspi still works. Thanks for the idea, samj; your portable version(s) work great and very quick. I even toyed with the mypaint brushes, but, as you know, I’m a filter guy. lol

:slight_smile:

Hi Pat
I’m using Windows 7. That “heal selection” tool was quite fast and effective. I miss it though… but i REALLY love the new GIMP! It’s AWESOME! :smiley:

I’m not a coder and I can’t compile :(:cry:

Will there be a back door in order to run 32-bit plugins such as Mathmap within 64-bit GIMP 2.10 like there was for GIMP 2.8x? I hope so, but hope isn’t an answer. I suppose I can add it to the 32-bit portable build but do use Mathmap often enough to not wish having to do so like I now have to if I want to run PSPI inside GIMP. Here’s to hoping none the less. :slight_smile:

@lylejk,

I use :blush: ShellOut>paint.net (only windows, free, but not open source) for working with 8bf. Then you need the “PSFilterPdn” plugin made by “null54”. This 8bf-host is very good.

Then back to GIMP.

I don’t know if this is a workable recipe for GIMP 2.10?

Shellout still works fine with GIMP 2.10 Iarga. I actually use XnView as my PS plugin serrogate.

My main problem now is Mathmap;; never has been ported to 64-bit and I just tried to run it with 32-bit Portable but it won’t work. Glad I still have the option to run GIMP 2.8.22. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could someone please explain and expand upon this ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Read through the thread below. :slight_smile:

ShellOut.py (was XNViewShell) - Call external programs • GIMP Chat

1 Like

[quote=“lylejk, post:18, topic:7528, full:true”]
Read through the thread below.[/quote]

Thanks !
So…, if I understand this correctly, XnView can utilize Photoshop Plug-ins that GIMP cannot; you are working on a picture in GIMP – you employ the trick/plug-in described in the link – it fies up XnView with your picture already loaded – you perform your PS task in XnView – close out of XnView – and your XnView work shows up on your picture in GIMP; is that about right ?

I can see where that would be handy.

That’s exactly what happens, BuckSkin. Just wish someone would make a better PS plugin executor for GIMP; PSPI works for some PS plugins (PSPI is a GIMP plugin that allows you to run PS plugins) but more than many won’t run in GIMP. For the plugins that do, it’s a blessing. Still, Shellout fills in that gap for those that don’t but not all PS plugins run in XNView, but that has to be a quest that you take up to find out for yourself. Shellout can run other programs besides XNView too I might add. I directly run NIK filters via Shellout for instance as well. Some programs don’t export friendly to GIMP either so I sometimes just save a file to my desktop and then quit the launched program and then import into GIMP for those programs; at least I was able to port the layer into the program via Shellout. Anyway, as you play with GIMP you find more ways to skin a rat if your will to get the job done. Wish you well on your own quest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the good explanation; it saves me from asking one of my next questions = can PS plug-ins be used in GIMP – this answered that.
I have probably thirty photo editing programs and I am often jumping in and out of various programs when one does something better or has a feature I need.