GIMP AppImage (continuous integration)

Just chmod +x will do, and is arguably easier (no sudo) and safer.

@Carmelo_DrRaw curious, are you bundling resynthesizer-2.0.1 with the AppImage? See Resynthesizer 2.0.1

1 Like

I’ll get you ssh/scp access when I get back from my trip! :slight_smile:

That was actually in my funwork plans for today… :wink: compilation was straightforward, I’ll publish an updated package for testing a bit later.

1 Like

Ok, here comes the next experimental version:

• with the resynthesizer plug-ins suite added to the bundle
  • without the annoying dialog that asks to install the desktop file

Here is the new link: Dropbox - gimp-2.9.5-20160808.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage - Simplify your life

To run the appimage the first time, go to the folder where you downloaded it with your file manager, right click of the file and open the properties, make the file executable like this:

and then double-click on the file to actually run it.

I’ve just realised that the Mint file manager even recognises the application icon embedded in the appimage… cool!

Next time you want to run the appimage, and until you download a new one, you can simply double-click on the file.

2 Likes

… and I could not resist to immediately test the newly added “heal selection” filter. It’s cool!
See it in action: Dropbox - gimp_appimage_heal_selection_test.mp4 - Simplify your life

Getting the deprecated function warning here.

The solution is in an earlier post.

A quicker fix is an updated plugin in the appimage Gimp profile
~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.9/plug-ins/ this will take precedence over the built in plugin. (although I advise deleting the existing ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.9/pluginrc and let gimp create a new one)

FWIW the plugin I fixed up yesterday

unzip, permissions should already be set but check anyway.

On a more permanent solution, is it possible to create the appimage with the gimp –pdb-compat-mode=on
There are plenty of plugins, even some created last week, that use deprecated procedures.

1 Like

Out of curiousity, how does one get the appimage to appear in the menu please?

Cheers.

Worked it out. :slight_smile:

Setting permissions for all neither requires sudo nor does it impose the slightest safety or security difference. Just saying …

You’re right, and:

sdfkjhgsdfkjhgsdf20chars

I will add this option to the gimp invocation. I personally prefer this solution instead of manually patching the plug-in scripts…

Thanks for the hint!

And a+x is what the AppImage project recommends.

Here is a new version of the appimage: Dropbox - gimp-2.9.5-20160823.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage - Simplify your life

It now accepts image file names as parameters, to it can be used as a command to directly open an image from the terminal.

2 Likes

There was some discussion about better desktop integration on another thread, that I’m linking here for completeness: Gimp + PhF appimage, a few observations - #11 by paperdigits

I’ve tested the AppImage desktop integration and it seems to work quite well.

When enabled, the desktop integration will

• put an entry in the applications menu, called “GIMP AppImage”
  • add an entry in the “Open with…” context menu of most common file managers
  • let you select the appimage as the default program associated to image files

To test this new functionality, you need to:

New versions of the appimage will automatically detect the presence of an old .desktop file and they will prompt you for installing a new one when needed.

@paperdigits and @Fotonut might be particularly interested by this new functionalities…

EDIT: the only issue I’ve encountered so far is that when running the appimage from the applications menu, GIMP complains with this error message: “Opening ‘/tmp/.mount_2CANTA/usr/%U’ failed: Error opening file: No such file or directory”. It is harmless but a bit annoying, and I have no idea how to get rid of it…

2 Likes

Hey @Carmelo_DrRaw, how can one add the plugin registry to the appimage? is that something I can do, or would that need to be included as part of the appimage?

Cheers.

Are you able to define Plug-In and Scripts folders in the GIMP preferences?

Yes, and both are working fine. I have already downloaded some plugins from http://registry.gimp.org/glossary/a, and they seem to be working fine.

What I was hoping to do was use the ‘gimp-registry-plugins’ from the repos. Is this possible to do with an appimage, and if so, how?

Cheers.

Hi Brian,

I am a bit reluctant to include a lot of potentially not useful plugins in the appimage, so the best would be to select those that are really relevant for photography purposes.

Anyhow, the appimage looks for additional plugins in this folder:

$HOME/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.9/plug-ins

For python plug-ins it should be enough to copy them there, on the other hand compiled C/C++ plug-ins might not work and would need to be included in the appimage… one needs to experiment a bit.

If you have suggestions for must-have plugins, I’ll be glad to add them to the appimage package.

Thanks!

1 Like

The gimp-plugin-registry deb package installs all its files in the /user file system.

Not possible with an appimage which creates a temporary file system.

You put these files manually in the Gimp 2.9 appimage Gimp profile
~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.9/plug-ins/ and ~/.config/GIMP-AppImage/2.9/scripts/

How to get the files? Download the appropriate 64 bit deb file and unpack it.

To save a lot of user confusion I have done it for you and split into scripts and plugins

Now you have to ask yourself, do I really need all 165 scripts and 25 plugins?

Pick what you need but do not expect all to work with this appimage. Turning on pdb-compatibility is largely cosmetic, you just do not see the warning messages. Some, such as separate+ , layer-fx.py (in the scripts???) do not work and AFAIK cmyk-tiff-2-cmyk-pdf.py has never worked since Gimp 2.6

hope this helps.