G'MIC Challenge: Create image from photographs with a single line

The only rule is that resulting image must consist of single line, and duotone color, and the input must be a photograph. You can make background as transparent. There can be overlap or even stylistic twist.

Example:

I get the feeling you have one prepared?

I don’t really understand what it is about TBH.

EDIT: Now, with the example, I get it.

I only have a theory on this. Use arrays, and draw curves using array as reference until there is enough details or coverage. When it’s a challenge, it is something that’s pretty difficult to code up and the purpose of the challenges I make is to try to find a solution.

Provided a example

A common art exercise. I would like the squiggly lines outside of detail regions to be less dense and angular, and detail regions to be less random as to preserve the textures.

Not using G’MIC, sorry, but Lithographic effects using IM.
x2

Pretty cool stull, Reptorian; didn’t know you can do TSP artwork in G’MIC… If you created the preset, hope you share it in your G’MIC plugin preset. Now if someone could do a variable density Hilbert curve render (posted request below). lol :slight_smile:

OK, Reptorian. Because I have no clue how you did this in G’MIC, I had to use tools that I know of to do so. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I read correctly, I don’t think Rep has a solution yet; hence the challenge. Yours is different in that I don’t think there is overlap of the path.

Yeah; we had a thread on Traveling Salesman (well Sales person) at GIMPChat a while back. Still have to tools (and at least a good memory for how to use them), afre. lol

:slight_smile:

ref: Human Skulls – 54 Free Images | Media Militia

Expand below for SVG output:

Summary

media_militia_skulls_001

Picked a skull from Media Militia’s site and extracted it on white background and did some additional magic before feeding it into Voronoi Stippler and then that result into TSP script. Then I smoothed the path some before stroking the path. Just a bit more fun before I hit the hay for another 10 hour tomorrow (well later today). lol

1 Like

TSP was added to gmic a while ago with command tsp - mentioned here:

Should have known the G’MIC team would have done so by now, GC. lol

Need to see if it’s available within the GIMP plugin itself since I don’t CLI. :slight_smile:

Voronai Stippling sounds like a cool idea for G’MIC. @David_Tschumperle : Is modifying Voronai is feasible? In addition, it would be nice to have just the coordinates of vertexs as a image instead of points.

Oh, feathers. A frivolous way to burn off a Sunday morning, with bagels and a smear of cream cheese.

foo:
   sp portrait2,1024
   +r2dx. 25%,5
   luminance.
   apply_curve. 1,0,0,90,0,160,255,255,255
   n. 0,1
   oneminus.
   noise. 0.4
   threshold. 65%
   pointcloud. 3
   channels. 0,1
   *. 4
   tsp. ,
   permute. cyzx
   nm. points
   i 1024,1024,1,1
   nm. canvas
   eval {V=crop(#$points);polygon(#$canvas,-size(V)/2,V,1,0xffffffff,255)}
   keep[0,-1]

And then:

gmic foo.gmic foo orig.png tsp.png

Traveling salesman version:

Feeding ~4K – ~7K of points to ‘tsp’ probably shouldn’t be done on @afre 's celebrated laptop…

2 Likes

@grosgood
Thank you for this script using ‘tsp’.

2 Likes

Really cool, grosgood; great result too, samj. Hopefully the code will run in G’MIC GIMP plugin. :slight_smile:

Theirs is a deconstruction of both rep’s and yours. Ha ha.

Just tried; no dice. I guess to use TSP in G’MIC, you have to go CLI. lol

So, it doesn’t work from the custom command filter? I can’t try because