G'MIC OFX plugin not showing in Sony Vegas Pro 13

So as suspected, Vegas 13 has a very poor implementation of the OFX standard with many bugs, even with the test plugins that come with the OFX SDK. I managed to work around most of them now, I think.
Here is a new release: http://reduxfx.com/gmic/20190218_gmic_ae_ofx.zip

@MKdmn: I think the issue you are seeing is not related to that, as the plugin should have been showing up in the list regardless of the render issues already. Probably there is an issue with the libcgmicstatic.dll. Try the following steps:
Search your hard drive for any existing libcgmicstatic.dll occurences and delete/rename those files.
Then run a command prompt (“cmd”) and type “path”. It will list all the directories in the path variable. Put the libcgmicstatic.dll from the archive linked above into any of the directories listed (just the DLL directly, not in a subfolder)

2 Likes

The good news that they appeared, the bad news that I can’t see the effecst.

At least only some worked but it made the video upside-down.

Also, can you please add an option to go beyond the slider intensity for me?

On the other hand it worked well in AE, even though a bit have problems.

Plus, Do you know how to make them faster in processing?

1 Like

The upside-down video thing is a flag, will look into it.
No idea what slider intensity you are talking about, but I can’t influence the UI components and values, they are read from the G’MIC library and sent to the host for displaying.
Some plugins might not work correctly, yes.
And concerning the speed, this is as good as it gets at the moment. A test branch with multithreading is also available, but causes problems in some hosts that are not compatible with multithreaded OFX plugins (like Vegas). Under advanced options you also have the possibility to reduce resolution or change the mode to inline, which will help with some plugin to make them faster.
All in all, it is still very experimental and beta, and I hardly have time to work on it, so progress will be slow.

1 Like

Another day, another version:
http://reduxfx.com/gmic/20190220_gmic_ofx.zip

This one fixes many bugs and is much faster. Archive only included OFX for Windows at the moment.

Cheers,
Toby

1 Like

Still blank for some reason.
At least it’s not upside down anymore. And I can see some more effects shown like Cartoon and Frame cube.

1 Like

Certain effects might use a new syntax that requires the presence of the latest (2.5.0pr) G’MIC standard library (which is still in pre-release state at the moment).
So for example for G’MIC Edges to work again, please download this file:
http://reduxfx.com/gmic/gmic_stdlib.gmic
And put it in the G’MIC ressources path (the folder where G’MIC also puts its updated scripts and external files it needs). Usually this is c:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\gmic
When restarting the host and plugin, it should then use the latest definitions from this file.
I just tested it and edges work using this approach.
I will also compile this into the binary at some point, once it is out of pre-release.

1 Like

Some effects got mixed up where 3d elevation is Truchet, but hey, at least it finally works, even the rendering (which took slow for almost 10 mins)

At least this little thing helps me what effect it actually is.

What would be nice is to have the effects stop going random every time I go on the same frame. That would help with the RAM preview.

and fix these too, please.

I think you could do make a team to create a fully functional plugin through collaboration.

Also, the film presets are here, but they don’t work at all, even in AE.

Plus, when ever I undo something, this comes up.

It switches back to the original non-switched effect or removes it.

1 Like

I can’t reproduce the mix-up here (3D elevation and truchet are what they supposed to be on my machine).
The changing of random parameters every frame/re-render is built into G’MIC, I can do nothing about that.
The “note” display is a problem with Vegas, removing them would break this feature in other hosts.
The undo also works fine here, please write the detailled steps to reproduce the error you mention.

As for your collaboration idea: The sources for the G’MIC OFX and AE plugins have always been up in the G’MIC addon repository (as required by the G’MIC license), and everyone can use/change them, but collaboration is hard because the build environment is difficult to set up and it is not really easy to understand what is going on with this complicated process. I can only do this in my limited spare time as well.

For film presets to work, please download this file
https://gmic.eu/gmic_cluts.gmz
and place it in
c:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\gmic\

1 Like

New version, this time for AE and OFX:
http://reduxfx.com/gmic/20190222_gmic_ae_ofx.zip

1 Like

Thanks for the plugin. There’s only one problem when installing it, it causes Vegas to not use any video, but that can be resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling Quicktime.

1 Like

I don’t get what you are saying. This is just an external OpenFX plugin which Vegas can load, it does not know anything about Vegas as an application or any system configuration it can change. I assume it is some other effect or simply a Vegas quirk, nothing I can do about.

I also just posted another release, which is available in this thread from now on:

1 Like

One of my friends can’t get G’MIC to work on AE CS6.

1 Like

Isn’t CS6 years old?

1 Like

It is for those who don’t buy into the subscription idea.

1 Like

I tested with AE CS6, so I know that they will basically work. If your friend gets these messages, chances are high he has not placed the libcgmicstatic.dll in a location in the path (or that a different one exists somewhere in the path)

1 Like

Most likely. He said that he didn’t put the dll in the right path.

1 Like

I’m here again. I just realized that if After Effects can keep the effect frame parameters constant, maybe Vegas can?

1 Like

I was informed that the G’MIC plugins in Vegas 18 would show off as a blank screen or being upside down. Could this issue be fixed for newer versions of Vegas?

1 Like

I don’t think we know who develops the plugin for Vegas, but you’re probably best contacting them directly

1 Like

That’s because G’MIC was meant to be mostly for image editing, so it’s gonna get slow when using it for video editing