Got Lucky in Bilbao

Had a business trip to Bilbao last week and as the meeting was starting late in the day, I was set on sleeping as long as I could. Sadly I fell out of bed quite early and couldn’t sleep anymore. As it was right during blue hour, I thought let’s go out and take some pictures. And I got lucky!
The sky was really beautifull and there was also a moon. :grin:

These were all taken with my little Panasonic LX100 and a Gorillapod. Processed in RT and a little Gimp.

So, finally, I know what senile bed escape can be good for…

15 Likes

Under the bridge is wonderful! There’s something really neat to me about a city in the early morning hours before it has a chance to wake up. Reminds me of work by Andreas Levers

https://www.google.com/search?q=andreas+levers&tbm=isch

3 Likes

Yes the atmosphere is always special early in the morning and I love taking pictures at that time, not so much getting up…
I didn’t know Andreas Levers but the images look very interesting.

1 Like

The purple to blue hue in the sky is absolutely fantastic!

Yeah, really does nail that blue hour color cast!

I also love the symmetry of this :slight_smile:

At this perspective, it looks like there are 4 buildings instead of 2.

Very nice series!

I like a lot the shapes and volumes of the last image. Have you tried correcting the perspective to get more vertical lines in the buildings? Something like this:

2 Likes

Thanks @Carmelo_DrRaw.

Not on the pictures shown in this post, and it is funny yout tell me, as my wife keeps telling me to straighten that skyscraper.
I actually did my first perspective correction steps ever this week using photoflow on one of these images (And I also did some interesting, more strongly processed versions of these pictures using photoflow again). But as far as I understand the correction tool needs parallel lines, and it is kind of hard to pinpoint the vertical on the Guggenheim Museum…:sweat_smile:

Too tempting; just a click on the Darkroom perspective tool gave me this and then I got carried away with tweaking the photo! I really like this photo, I’ve now put it as my desktop and its put Bilbao on my list of places to visit. Thanks:grinning:

1 Like

You’re welcome. If you’d like the raw for better tweaking, let me know…

I did it by simple guessing on this one, and still took not more than 1 minute:

Going back and forth between the perspective lines and the corrected image a couple of times allowed to quickly fine-tune the correction…

By the way, Darktable’s automatic perspective correction is something I definitely need to incorporate in PhF at some point!!!

Maybe it’s a good candidate for a PlayRAW thread?

hmm, yeah we never had a real architecture/city playraw, would you take that picture?

Me??? Yes!!!

agreed, lets play!

1 Like

@bminney, @Carmelo_DrRaw, I looked at the raw again and there are some spots in the sky because of dirt on the camera which I didn’t notice. So if I start a playraw then it’s only fun to those who are able to do spot removal…so I’m a bit sceptical about the suitability of the image, though I would love to see the results coming out.

On the other hand we could call it CleanUpRaw instead of PlayRaw. :wink:

Go for it!

Went for it. :slight_smile: