Grainy Reflections

As I did already a couple of years back, I propose something not quite usual to play with.

Here you find a raw output from my negative scanner (Plustek OpticFilm 8200i).
13.dng (25.1 MB)

And here is the outcome of my efforts.

Both licensed under a Creative Commons License.
(I’ve just realized upon posting how similar the subject is to the one I posted 2 years ago…)

If you are interested in the processing, you can find details in my latest blog post.

Special bonus: as soon as (if?) somebody guesses both of these items:

• the location where the picture was taken
  • the camera with which the picture was taken

I’ll upload another raw scan from the same roll to play with.

6 Likes

An Oly?

Matterhorn?

nope :smiley:

Good guess. It was quick :relieved:. Too easy, right?

1 Like

So what now?

Nope or Good guess. It was quick :relieved:. Too easy, right?

My guess about the Oly was about the very special design they ever had about the top of the viewfinder part of their cams.

Sorry… I messed up with the quotes… (corrected now) good guess the location :wink:

1 Like

If it not an Oly, it’s a Pentax. Really hard to tell from that shot…

Yeah, it is hard… :grin: harder than guessing the mountain for sure…
I didn’t try to see if anything better can be reconstructed from the raw.

1 Like

@billznn I don’t know if something is wrong on my end but the 13.dng file is 256 × 171 pixels. I’m guessing that it should be more than that, right?

I’ve just tried to download the link in the post from an incognito Firefox instance and open it with RawTherape. This is what it says about it:

I guess something is not fully right on your side?

@billznn OK I just opened it in Darktable and the 2526x1692 pixels are there. It must be something with my end with both Geeqie and Eye of Gnome image viewers only showing 256 × 171 pixels. My bad!

1 Like

13.dng.xmp (13.7 KB)

3 Likes

Pentax MX?

This was a very nice challenge.

grainy.reflections.dng.xmp (73.5 KB) darktable 3.1.0

We don’t get many chances to play with the negadoctor module :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing!

EDIT:

Also did one without using negadoctor or invert module:

dt302.grainy.reflections…xmp (55.6 KB) darktable 3.0.2

2 Likes

Just had a look at your xmp: Very nice approach and no negadoctor to be seen. Have to remember that you can flip stuff like that using the curve module’s. Rather obvious, but that’s hindsight at work, right .

Anyway nice!

Almost… :grin: Less pro.

Yeah, it’s also my favorite approach.

By the way, @Jade_NL, I can’t open your xmp, what version of darktable do you have? I have 3.0.2 in Ubuntu 18.04, installed from OBS repo.

EDIT: I’ve seen now that you actually wrote down the version, sorry :wink:

Rawtherapee and g’mic’s despeckle with a mask
13.dng.pp3 (12.8 KB)

1 Like

Had to use the development version. The moment I noticed that this was an actual negative I wanted to use Aurélien negadoctor module, which isn’t part of stable just yet.

I am going to do another edit using the one of the curve modules instead of negadoctor.

13.dng.xmp (21.2 KB)

1 Like