Grainy Reflections

@billznn I don’t know if something is wrong on my end but the 13.dng file is 256 × 171 pixels. I’m guessing that it should be more than that, right?

I’ve just tried to download the link in the post from an incognito Firefox instance and open it with RawTherape. This is what it says about it:

I guess something is not fully right on your side?

@billznn OK I just opened it in Darktable and the 2526x1692 pixels are there. It must be something with my end with both Geeqie and Eye of Gnome image viewers only showing 256 Ă— 171 pixels. My bad!

1 Like

13.dng.xmp (13.7 KB)

3 Likes

Pentax MX?

This was a very nice challenge.

grainy.reflections.dng.xmp (73.5 KB) darktable 3.1.0

We don’t get many chances to play with the negadoctor module :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing!

EDIT:

Also did one without using negadoctor or invert module:

dt302.grainy.reflections…xmp (55.6 KB) darktable 3.0.2

2 Likes

Just had a look at your xmp: Very nice approach and no negadoctor to be seen. Have to remember that you can flip stuff like that using the curve module’s. Rather obvious, but that’s hindsight at work, right .

Anyway nice!

Almost… :grin: Less pro.

Yeah, it’s also my favorite approach.

By the way, @Jade_NL, I can’t open your xmp, what version of darktable do you have? I have 3.0.2 in Ubuntu 18.04, installed from OBS repo.

EDIT: I’ve seen now that you actually wrote down the version, sorry :wink:

Rawtherapee and g’mic’s despeckle with a mask
13.dng.pp3 (12.8 KB)

1 Like

Had to use the development version. The moment I noticed that this was an actual negative I wanted to use Aurélien negadoctor module, which isn’t part of stable just yet.

I am going to do another edit using the one of the curve modules instead of negadoctor.

13.dng.xmp (21.2 KB)

1 Like

Pentax ME Super ?

Pentax K1000!

There you are!

So, as promised…
11.dng (25.3 MB)
Of course, licensed under a Creative Commons License.
My version of it can be alredy found on my website.

Your second one with an old postcard vibe:

dt302.grainy.II.negative.11.dng.xmp (22.9 KB) darktable 3.0.2

2 Likes

Darktable

11.dng.xmp (9.7 KB)

Rawtherapee + Photoflow

exported neutral from rawtherapee with only an exposure boost
11.dng.pp3 (12.5 KB)

In photoflow I’ve used the G’mic interpreter for the negative inversion like it was recommended in one cineon pdf
http://www.dotcsw.com/doc/cineon2.pdf

negative->density-> log exposure-> linear rgb

-fill i=(i/255);density=log(1/i)/log(10);log_exposure=(density/0.6)-(685/1023*2.048/0.6);(10^log_exposure)*255

11.dng.pfi (21.6 KB)

Blue filter in Gimp

4 Likes

Thanks for the “Monte Cervino” :slight_smile: .

11.dng.xmp (19.6 KB)

1 Like

I never hardly ever get to work on negative, It’s freshly different, thanks for the opportunity :slight_smile:

I tried to stay on the soft side and moderately grainy …
13.dng.xmp (11.0 KB)

1 Like

You’re very welcome!
If you never tried analog photography… well, be careful if you want to, it’s a very deep tunnel :grin: But it’s a different world altogether, from the scouting, through shooting, to the print :wink: