GUI overhaul with QT 5.12

QT 5.12 LTS is already out hubs.ly/H0fD2fj0
So is there any plan for redesign UI ?
Thank you

(Mica) #2

The code for natron is open, so whoever wants to have a go at this can, but it isn’t currently being worked on as nobody is actively adding features to natron.

(Frédéric Devernay) #3

Natron should work with Qt 5, the only missing part is PySide, which is not officially supported by Qt5, but should be integrated soon. Just try it: use the Qt5 qmake and build Natron.

BTW, the name of PySide has changed to Qt for Python.

Right now i can code only in Python not in c++.

(Raymond Doetjes) #6

You don’t need to be able to code to run qmake. And why would you want to change thecUI? It looks like Nuke, it’s quiet comforting.

(Frédéric Devernay) #7

Qt4 is not maintained anymore, so we may get into issues at some time by keeping it, although it is quite stable. For example, every new version of macOS brings its incompatibilities, and the Qt4 code has to be patched again to compile (see https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/aqua/qt4-mac/Portfile).

If somebody want to add compatibility with “Qt for Python” (the official replacement for PySide), then I’ll gladly review the pull requests. I would prefer if we could keep the possibility to build with Qt4/PySide, though.
One other thing is that I don’t think the master branch is the good place to do that, because the RB-2.3 is much more stable (although it has a few bugs).
My advice would be to make a new minor version (RB-2.4?) that adds Qt5 compatibility.