HDR, ACES and the Digital Photographer 2.0

OK, that’s an equation that I can put into a spreadsheet - thanks! I’ll try to post the resulting ICC profile later today.

I don’t quite get it… this means that the same y value is obtained for an input value that is 10x bigger at 1000 nits than at 10000 nits. Shouldn’t be the other way around?

EDIT: I have changed the formulas in @afre post to take advantage of the new math formatting, for better readability…

1 Like

See the equation on page 20 here:

https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/files/23-1615-TS7-2-IProc02-Miller.pdf

The pdf is very readable.

I think the equation @age gave perhaps “goes the other way”.

The equation on page 20 is for 10,000 nits, fwiw.

Edit: Ok, here’s the equation on page 20 in a spreadsheet:

pq-luminance-equation.ods (29.2 KB)

@Carmelo_DrRaw or anyone - could you check my equations?

My spreadsheet just replicates the equation on page 20 and spits out the point TRC values for a point TRC with 101 points from 0 to 100, where 0 maps to 0 and 100 maps to 65535. Assuming my equations are correct, more TRC points would be needed for an actual ICC profile, and I’m absolutely sure the current equations in the spreadsheet aren’t right for a 1000-nit monitor, for one thing the nits is wrong.

I have converted this hdr image https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?h=aerodynamics_workshop to linear rgb with 2020 primaries, it’s scene referred so it goes from 0 to inf. (actually fro 0 to +15.0=1500nits)

Scaled down to 0-1 range

Y=x/15

Converted to st2084 1500nits

y=\big({c1 + c2* (x/6.666666)^{m1} \over 1 + c3*(x/6.66666)^{m1}}\big)^{m2}

10000 nits / 1500 nits=6.66666666

While for st2084 1000 nits we have to scaled down from scene referred in this way (there will be some highlights clipped)

y=x/10

and this fomula

y=\big({c1 + c2* (x/10)^{m1} \over 1 + c3*(x/10)^{m1}}\big)^{m2}

10000 nits / 1000 nits = 10

Very interesting! I think it is worth to include the ST2084 formula in the tone mapping tool of PhotoFlow…

Hmm, given the above exchange I’m sure I don’t know what sort of profile @age actually wanted :slight_smile: and looking at my spreadsheet I already found a problem. But solving that problem won’t address whatever type of profile @age actually wanted - is the goal a “look” icc profile that transforms the colors in the linear scene-referred image?

For that image I’ve imported the .hdr file in darktable and exported as floating point .tif linear with 2020 primaries, and I think that could be considered scene referred.

I’m not sure how to use .icc profile for hdr images.
Adobe has some .icc profile with pq transfer curve
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2313742

I would share an article about Netflix talking on HDR for still images and .icc profiles.
https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/enhancing-the-netflix-ui-experience-with-hdr-1e7506ad3e8

Edit.
https://www.w3.org/TR/png-hdr-pq/#file
Here one .icc profile for HDR .png files

You’ve @'ed the wrong person but I may have linked to the formulas in one of my posts as well. :slight_smile:

Oh dear— PNG + ICC + HDR: I wonder what the compatibility for that is…

PS This might be helpful. I have been working through it.

1 Like

@afre @Elle @age @dutch_wolf @gwgill
I hope my understanding of the HDR display format and involved transforms is improving…
If I understand correctly, there are at least two major standard for HDR displays, one is PQ and the other HLG. They use two different types of transfer functions, and therefore they are not compatible with each other. On top of that, there is the varying maximum brightness of different display models that should be taken into account.
So, there might be two approaches for preparing an image for display on an HDR device:

1. convert the scene-linear data to the appropriate format for a given HDR standard. Ideally, one should in this case save at least two images, one for PQ and one for HLG, and rely on the user to pick up the good one depending on its hardware. How the actual display brightness is handled in this case, I still don’t know…
  2. save the image in scene-linear encoding, and let the image viewer do the required transforms for sending the data to screen. The image viewer should in this case detect the type of display and apply the appropriate OETF to encode the values to be sent to screen. While doing this, it could also take into account the actual display brightness, if the information can be retrieved somehow. However, I guess there is no such FLOSS image viewer for the moment…

Am I still on track?

1 Like

I think that is about right but I haven’t looked into the standards myself yet (still working my trough the ingress side of things). Note that you do loose some (creative) freedom when going with option 2 since you loose the ability to set the tonemap operator but have to live with whatever the SW does[1].

[1] Even tough an HDR display has quite a high dynamic range it is still not comparable to what potentially can be stored in scene-linear imagery so some kind of tonemap will still be necessary

1 Like

I have zero experience in this, like many topics I jump into without abandon. Just going by what I have read. :blush:

I would say that it depends on your goals. The DP2.0 would have a different capturing, creating and post-processing workflow; and delivery, encoding and decoding pipeline than a broadcaster and / or producer (e.g., Netflix, Sony) would. The latter group would differ in many ways too, depending on who, what, where, why, how and when. It also isn’t as simple as PQ vs HLG. If you look at my last link, you would see that there is a forward, and backward, conversion between PQ, HLG and linear-scene, in the normalized range of [0,1]. Moreover, it depends on the HDR standard in question; the quirks of the HDR pipeline and display; and the nits involved in the devices and surround; and viewing distance. All this while you have to consider the strengths and drawbacks of each method from start to finish and hope that the final product is worth sharing and consuming. :monkey:

That said, I do think a good starting point would be to do something similar to what we have already been doing on this forum; i.e., the PlayRaws’ Raw File → This is what I did. Do you like it?

Speaking of HDR, I normally witness great afternoon-evening skies walking by this window. I don’t have time to compose, still my shaky hands or avoid the reflection though. (This window has a coating of some sort.) My very LDR phone and basic camera app also white balances the photos. This pair of photos is supposed to have dozens of layers of clouds, each having a different colour palette and being blown to the left at different speeds. The closer clouds are brighter and warmer, providing some amazing contrast with both the foreground and background. But alas, you can experience none of that below. :disappointed:

There is also the ACES RRT, which sort of falls into the same category of standards for viewing HDR images. It’s a viewing transform anyway.

From reading around and following the links @age has posted, I’ve realized I know even less than I thought I knew about this whole HDR display stuff, and I didn’t think I knew very much to begin with :slight_smile: . But hopefully after some careful reading and experimenting with that nice HDR image @age linked to and with some working with spreadsheets for the equations, it will all start to make some sense.

Edit: Just now I was looking through the ArgyllCMS mailing list archives and found this thread about BT.2100 PQ:

Haven’t read through the thread yet, but it looks interesting.

Not new material for me but I like the coherence of the discussion. The last message is particularly fun.

Honestly it’s a gigantic mess, and I personally hope HDR either dies a
horrible death or display hardware improves significantly (no dynamic
contrast / dynamic backlight BS, just straight up static contrast using
e.g. OLEDs or MLEDs). We might just have to accept the fact that we
can’t calibrate HDR displays until that happens.

Not really the same thing since as far as my understanding goes for an ACES workflow it will always go trough the RRT even if the output is an HDR display. The RRT transforms ACES2065-1 to what is called OCES[1], which is supposed to represent a perfect display, from there it is mapped again to a normal screen (be that a sRGB screen or an HDR screen).

[1] No idea what it stands for, since it is officially not a user facing component it isn’t documented in any of the freely available docs it might be in the actual SMPTE standard but that costs at least $120 so I have no idea

OCES stands for “Output Color Encoding Specification”. This is the definition for the internal use in the IIF. No end-user ever handles OCES images directly. OCES is the output image color space targeted for the reference display device which would have a more than 1,000,000 to 1 dynamic range. OCES images can be acquired by rendering RRT (which will be explained later) to ACES images. Therefore, the same ACES images would be converted to the same OCES images every time.

Source: http://www.fujifilm.com/about/research/report/056/pdf/index/ff_rd056_009_en.pdf

1 Like

Saw that but that doesn’t tell me the info I would actually want (Primaries, does it go from 0.0 to 1.0 or some other range, does it have linear gamma, log, something else?) and sadly just a curious glance at the RRT doesn’t really give this info since it includes some film emulation elements (it has a ‘glow module’ and a ‘red modifier’ for example) which is one of the reasons it isn’t suitable for photography work (in my opinion)

Unfortunately, like yourself, I haven’t come across any details yet. :slight_smile:

@afre @dutch_wolf
My understanding is that the RRT is a specific part of the ACES standard that is not unanimously accepted. As such, I would not be surprised that while included in the standard it might be skipped (or made optional) in actual implementation.

I am planning to have a deeper look at what OCIO is doing, and try to introduce an OCIO node in PhF for experimenting…

3 Likes

Doesn’t surprise me that the RRT is not unanimously accepted since to a certain extend it bakes in a look and thus limits creative freedom, but as far as I can tell if you don’t use the RRT then you either need a different ACES to OCES transform (for which you need to know what OCES is exactly) or also need to recreate all the output transforms (since at least the reference transforms are based on OCES).

Anyway having an OCIO node build in a RAW editor would be useful for my own experiments (I can probably program something to create and to certain extend edit LUTs but not a full RAW editor)