HDR, ACES and the Digital Photographer 2.0

Well, the thing is that on other subjects, there is at least one or two examples. I haven’t come across any specifics on OCES yet. Maybe I have but I definitely missed it. I will let you know if I find something. :slight_smile:

That sounds like fun. You know how I like to play with new ideas. :+1:

I have started to work on the integration of Blender’s “filmic” view in PhotoFlow, using OCIO.

Things are still in a drafting stage, but look quite promising. Here is a couple of examples:

6 Likes

Looking good, filmic is probably a better place to start for us photographers then ACES, since as far as I can tell from the config it already separates the “render transform” from the view transform. The only thing I might be a bit worried about is that it is designed around the rec.709 primaries, although I suspect that sometimes in the future that will change as Blender’s renderer are made color agnostic.

Might be relevant to our discussion.

Source: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jd_Vandenberg/publication/328576446_A_survey_on_3D-LUT_performance_in_10-bit_and_12-bit_HDR_BT2100_PQ/links/5bd690e5299bf1124faa51ac/A-survey-on-3D-LUT-performance-in-10-bit-and-12-bit-HDR-BT2100-PQ.pdf

In the cinema industry, during production and post-production, the use of 3D-LUTs has been proven to be a flexible and fast solution to perform color transformations, or to give a particular look to a captured scene. Unfortunately, the dimension of the 3D-LUT is limited by the available space in processing hardware, so there must be a tradeoff between the precision of the transformation (to avoid visual artefacts such as banding), and the space required to store it.

Also note that that the smoothness of plain 3DLuts (more generaly cLUTs, not just 3D ones) can be improved by judiciously chosen pre and post per channel curves, something the ICC profile format has always supported, and something that is generally missing from the wild west of 3DLut formats that are popular in the Cinema and Video world…

Yeah it is rather strange they still rely solely on (3D)LUTs since the tools they use do support applying curves both in front and after applying LUTs[1] of course most of the current LUT file formats don’ t support including these curves in the package so there is definitely missing something there[2]

[1] see for example http://opencolorio.org/userguide/config_syntax.html#available-transforms for what OCIO allows, take especially note of the grouptransform option
[2] Although with OCIO it would be possible to provide an example/partial config to “sidestep” this issue to an extend.