Help improving blown out sky or understanding highlight reconstruction

OK, here is what I would have done.

FOTO1229.CR2.pp3 (12.1 KB)
Key things I did, were use the color propagation method of highlight recovery, like others did, and then use filmic tone curves and the CL chromacity according to lightness curve to fade the highlights to white in an organic way. Other things I did to benefit this high dynamic range scene, were, Dynamic Range compression, Graduated filter lightening the shadows, Shadows highlights with heavy shadows lifting, a boost of local contrast using wavelets, especially some of the lower frequencies to keep things from getting too salt and pepper-ish, As I saw lots of interesting color detail yet there was excessive chroma noise, I applied conservative rgb noise reduction and added some of the color back with low frequency chroma wavelet boosting.

1 Like

recently I discovered that before I reconstruct the sky I need to fix white balance so the blue sky can be reconstructed

I would say that there is a lot of going back and forth to see what the best combination is. Be sure you have an understanding of the Pipeline sequence in RT. (Not sure how much has changed since the posts.)

Arturio’s .pp3 taught me some things

Hi, Yes, I agree. Asking questions on this forum is an effective way of learning stuff :slight_smile:

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. A very good idea to use CL chromacity to fade the highlights to white! Looks great :slight_smile: