[Help] Writing an article for the 10 years of G'MIC ?

This does sound wrong to me:

I’m back from an evening at the restaurant with my wife, and I was thinking about the fact I could work a bit more on the translation before going to bed.

And now, I’m just amazed, I don’t know who are all the contributors, but I simply want to say “Thanks all, I love you :heart::slight_smile:

You cannot imagine how sweet this is for me to see that this translation already gets a first version ready. Now the problem is : I’m probably not qualified anymore to know all the subtleties of the English language that could help making the translation even better !

1 Like

Definitely looks rough but it is coming along. Extremely slowly going through the concluding statements and improving them. If anything, you must leave a good impression. :rofl:

Hahah! Not guilty :slight_smile:
I’m on it again now…

2 Likes

Yup some sentences in french just don’t seem to work well translated until you start moving the structure around. I had to rethink some of them just to make them readable, hopefully the intent is still the same!

What a big difference a small change in reordering words and adding an ‘only’ can make! Well done :+1:

Thanks, this might horrify some but I didn’t even fail english at school. I completely dropped it (mainly due to sitting writing programs instead). Promise I can write better than I do on here generally, but keep your eyes peeled anyway!

2 Likes

It isn’t moving things around per se but knowing what the underlying meaning and intent is. That said, I am super slow. Last 30 min, I only reworked the last two short paragraphs. :blush: I am already quitting for today. :joy_cat:

3 Likes

I’ll take some time after the lunch to read the translation and check that the meaning is the same as in French. I propose to delete the original paragraphs in French when the checking is done.
Thus, we’ll get a English-only version for the final touch :slight_smile: Is it OK for everyone ?

Seems sensible to me, you should have the final choice anyway of course! There’s a revision history too so nothing to worry about.

In any case, the original paragraphs are still available in the original French text : https://linuxfr.org/news/g-mic-2-3-4-traiter-ses-images-en-se-disant-deja-10-ans.md

I’ve tried to clean the article on HackMD a little bit:

• I’ve checked the global meaning of the article is preserved in the translated paragraphs. That is great, thanks everyone !
  • I’ve removed the original paragraphs in French.
  • I’ve cleaned up some links (initially pointing to French pages), and translated also the link labels.

So we have now an English version that only requires some attention to be sure the sentences do not sound too weird !

I improved the intro up to “Previous article about G’MIC on Pixls.us”.

Remarks (maybe I am too thorough :slight_smile:)
– I find it an odd choice that there is no vertical space between certain paragraphs, which is present in the original French. I would either make it one paragraph or two with the space in between. Just a minor quibble.

– The word libre. I suppose free is good enough for our purposes, but certain proponents of free software, etc., prefer to use libre in English as well.

– There are still diction problems in the article. I don’t have time to sift through. Sometimes it is a wrong word choice. Other times it is a translation inconsistency. In the latter case, it would be nice if expressions were translated the same throughout the article.

1 Like

Do you think it’s now good enough to be published ?
Definitely not sure :cold_face:

Going through it now.

PS I improved on the grammar, diction and sentence sense of section 1. :slight_smile: So, in total, I have improved the beginning to the end of 1, the last two short paragraphs at the end of the article, and a word or phrase, or two, within the article.

Thought I forgot most of the French I learned in school but I guess I still have some of it in me. :blush:

2 Likes

I’d say it’s reached a point where improvements would be small. The only thing I notice throughout is those strange little double left and right arrow things ( « » ), perhaps they have some meaning I don’t know about though…

1 Like

There are equivalent to the double quote in French.

I would suggest for the first sentence, “The IMAGE team of the GREYC laboratory is happy to invite you to celebrate with us the 10th anniversary of G’MIC, our open-source (CeCILL), generic and extensible framework for image processing.” (What “its” refers to is not clear in the existing English version.)

Instead of “ad vitam aeternam”, I’d suggest “ad infinitum”, if you feel it also reflects your intent, because “ad infinitum” is more commonly used.

(I made a few typographical changes already, but felt these should be suggested rather than just edited in place.)

None of the remaining instances of guillemets « » are necessary for me. They surround text that is already bolded or italicized, and therefore does not need quotes to set it off. (English does not use quoting to emphasize.)

Is there an intent for why some things use both guillemets and other emphasis?

Related to this: I would suggest that a consistent usage of bold and italic, with the general recommendation that italic be used for emphasis.

Last suggestion: rewrite to eliminate many of the parenthetical remarks. I did some where I felt it did not change the style of the writing.

Perhaps using parentheses has a different feel in English than French? In English, I would say parentheses mean “this is less important, but I’m saying it anyway so you can understand my context”.

(Nevertheless, I use lots of parenthetical comments myself as you can see by my posts!) :slight_smile: