Here's a nice bird to play with.

If you ever doubted that birds descended from dinosaurs, just have a look at this, beautiful, Marabou Stork. There’s something primordial about this bird that I really like!

Anyway: Go and have fun with this one.

Sidecar: pr.marabou.stork.dt321.xmp (17.9 KB)
RAW: pr.marabou.stork.dt321.nef (27.7 MB)
License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

7 Likes

How about some more emphasis on the white plumage?

Actually, not much different from your interpretation :slight_smile:

My approach to get the maximum detail out of this shot (you have to view full size to get it)

pr.marabou.stork.dt321.jpg.out.pp3 (14.1 KB)

Edit: @Jade_NL You really nailed the focus :+1:

2 Likes

Simple, but effective. It’s a great photo to work on.

pr.marabou.stork.dt321.nef.xmp (6.0 KB)

1 Like

I always colorize a tad the photos to give them a peculiar character

pr.marabou.stork.dt321.nef.xmp (8,9 KB)

5 Likes

@Jade_NL Looks like an old man. :smile:

A few times during my edit, when zoomed in 100% I just leaned back and enjoyed. You really need to see this one full size (I did obey the unwritten keep-it-decent-sized pixls rule though).

I agree, there’s something to work on for just about anybody. A quick and simple edit works, but one can also go into details an spend a lot of time perfecting things.

@sovereign: That personalized touch does give it a nice touch!

1 Like

wow, that’s a hell of a monster! :scream:
I tried to go for a cinematic look…

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

That was fun! Thanks.

pr.marabou.stork.dt321.nef.xmp (16.1 KB)

2 Likes

@agriggio : Initially I thought this one was too dark, but it isn’t. Also like the 16:9 (?) crop. Very nice edit.

@Thomas_Do : A Nice edit, as always. Nice use of different modules, as always. Glad to read you had fun with this one!

Decided to do this one with RT 5.8 very fun photograph.

pr.marabou.stork.dt321.nef.pp3 (12.5 KB)

2 Likes

I just spent about 45 minutes and I for the life of me can not reproduce the color or sharpness in Raw Therapee. I try to keep things as simple as possible, but If I could get this clarity from my images this would be a game changer.

I resized the photo in Gimp and decided to run Wavelet decomposition and duplicate the scale one detail layer and I think I can reproduce the sharpness that way. First upload is the RawTherapee jpg resized in gimp and the second photo(Sharper) is the Decomposition sharpened photo.

pr.marabou.stork-4-2.jpg.out.pp3 (11.7 KB)

1 Like

I’ve only dabbled with Rawtherapee for the moment so I can’t really help you with that one. Maybe you could have a look at @blj’s and/or @heckflosse’s sidecar files. Looking at those it must be possible :slight_smile:

BTW: Most edits here, @Tim’s one excluded, have enhanced/saturated the colours of the bird in some degree. Admittedly, yours does need a bit more and that might partially be accomplished by reducing the highlights, but they do look kinda natural.

You did remind me that I do need to dive deeper into Rawtherapee…

I have never really used darktable and I have no excuse. I am a sport photographer on the side and I shoot 3000-5000 images a week between High School Volleyball and Football. Thank you for your upload and the op to work on editing.

I’ve downloaded Filmulator yesterday and have been playing with it off and on for the last 24 hours or so. Here’s my attempt of this shot done in that “simple”, but rather nice RAW editor:

@254AllStar.com: Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to steer you towards darktable or any other RAW editor! Photographing and post processing should be fun and I really don’t care how you, me or anybody else gets their end-result as long as they are happy with it (or see stuff that they like/want to improve).

Me, I’m basically a darktable/GIMP person but I do try other stuff too (as is obvious from the above edit…). Just for fun.

That sounds interesting (Filmulator). I have not had a windows desktop in over 10 years. (never owned an Apple). I was going to upload a High ISO sport photo for an edit challenge to see what others could do regarding noise softening while keeping sharpness right before I came across your post.

Filmulator is surprisingly nice to work with. Not as loaded with options as other RAW editors, but just enough to get good results. And there’s always the TIFF export option, so dragging it into GIMP or do some bash/command-line stuff is always an option.

You mention not having had windows for over 10 years; I switched to Linux in 1997 and never looked back. I do have a MacBook Pro, but that one also runs Debian since 2 years or so :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing !
DT 3.3.0+766

pr.marabou.stork.dt321.nef.xmp (15.9 KB)

2 Likes

pr.marabou.stork.dt321.nef.arp (10.8 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this beautiful shot. Had fun trying stuffs with it.

2 Likes