How can I add more warmth into my pictures

Hi,

Complete newbie here. I have ten or so pictures, in different settings with one or multiple characters in each, with which I am trying to tell a story. I have done the color correcting so far. While doing some research, a more yellow and orange tint can introduce warmth into the pictures. I have also heard about teal and orange. I would like to experiment with these but couldn’t figure out how to implement it. Best I could come up with is to increase warmth of the whites. But it doesn’t really do the teal and orange thing. I want my characters to stand out slightly from their background with warmth.

My questions:

1. How can I experiment with such a look
  2. Is the any other setting you would recommend
  3. Does it make sense to hit all of the pictures with the same degree of orange and teal look to have some consistency or is it better to vary it picture to picture.

Hi @Baran, and welcome!
Please use the search utility in this forum. Among other
things, this will pop up:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Hi Claes,

Thanks for the reply. I was perhaps a bit more direct when I was phrasing the question. I am not solely looking for an orange and teal implementation but also for suggestions and feedback in my line of thinking.

It is also not clear to me how to (or whether to) implement the same amount of filter across multiple images.

Hi Baran, welcome to Pixls!

I’ll start with this one first:

Short answer: No, it does not.

The way effects, in general but in this case colour grading specifically, manifests itself depends on the initial image. So, strictly speaking each image is unique and needs to be treated as such. If, for example there are almost no (darker) shadows in an image an effect that makes the dark shadows colder wont have any/that much of an effect so you might need to adjust the tool(s) used to make the shadows that are present colder. However…

If you have a series that is shot in the same conditions you can get away with using the colour grading from the first and blindly apply it to the rest of the series. I would personally still revisit the ones that the style/grade were applied to and probably do some minor adjustments.

It is also a very good idea to make editing a two step process when you want to colour grade an image: first make sure the image is technically correct. For example: white balance is rather important when doing colour grading: make sure the whites are actually white, otherwise you are going to colour grade an already “colour graded” image in step two, and this might have unwanted/unexpected results. You now have a baseline for step two: Colour grading., which is all about the artistic part of editing.

There isn’t a specific tool and/or setting that will always work. You most often need to use multiple tools and revisit them during the edit to make it all fit together. You do need to experiment and get a feel for the image and what the tools can do. Knowing before you start what it is that you want to accomplish is also important.

RawTherapee comes with some rather nice colour related tools and I’ll mention a few of them:

The L*a*b Adjustments makes it possible to adjust the a, but probably more importantly the b channel (these two adjust colour only). The b channel gives you control over blues and yellows and it is a nice way to add blue (“colder”) to the shadows and/or subtract blue (add yellow/warmth) to the highlights. You do need to watch out though: These a and b channels can easily create an ugly colour cast instead of a pleasing cold/warm/colour emphasis.

The RGB Curves also gives you the possibility to manipulate colours. This tool is RGB based so you will not only adjust the colour but also its luminosity/value and saturation. This might come in handy when you want to get that washed out look in the shadows. I would advise you to not change the green channel, at least not initially, but play with the red and blue channels.

The Channel Mixer I’m not going to say much about this one. It might not be one of the easiest to understand but is a great tool for colour manipulating areas of your image. @s7habo just uploaded a video about using the channel mixer that might be worth a watch to get a better understanding (it’s a darktable video, but the principles are exactly the same for all channel mixers).

And then there’s the Colour Toning module…

Out of the box it is set to Colour correction regions, which is really powerful and can be used to target specific areas (masking can be done with this one). But it comes with a few other Methods. Try switching to the L*a*b blending method: Tada! A very crude orange and teal. With the top part (Colour) you can set which lightness value (horizontally) gets which colour (vertically). You can add as many points as you like, Rawtherapee tries to make the transitions as smooth-less as technically possible. The bottom part (Opacity) dictates how much of the effect (colouring a specific lightness with a specific colour) is shown.

This tool is very powerful but does take time to get your head around. Do experiment with the other Methods as well. One of them might suite your needs and/or might be easier to use by you.

PS: You mentioned doing some research and I can only assume that you had a look at RawPedia. If you’re able to read Spanish you might want to have a look at those articles too (do a search on the main page and choose the ES version); Some of the Spanish pages are more detailed (same is true for the French pages if I’m not mistaken).

EDIT: Fixed typos, added clarifications / added Boris’ video link

4 Likes

A simple way to play with this would be to apply a Film Simulation
https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Film_Simulation

Here is a free LUT I have found that works well for adding warm tones to an image
https://freshluts.com/luts/683
And here it is converted to work with RawTherapee

By the way, before FreshLUTs are licensed under Creative Commons CCO. "You are free to adapt and use them for commercial purposes without attributing the original author or source. "
https://freshluts.com/termsandconditions

1 Like

If the pictures were all illuminated the same way, I’d think you’d want to apply consistent processing to all, if they are to be regarded as a series. In the end, you’ll have to arrange renditions as they are to be viewed to judge the processing to your intent…

First, excuse my bad english…

The question you ask seems (in its formulation) simple. In fact it is extremely complex as the number of parameters is important.
I am not going to make here a treatise of colorimetry because one could write a novel, but to summarize the essential points.

Preamble
When you take a photo, you are almost the only one to perceive the “scene” as you see it.
In the same way, the conditions in which you are going to look at them after processing depend on your equipment (monitor, TV, projector, printing…) and your environment (in daylight, in a dark room, etc.).
This also assumes that your camera has the “right” input profiles, and that the shooting parameters are correct.
You immediately realize in this statement that there are parameters that can be described as objective, or cognitive, or scientific and others more subjective related to your culture, your perceptions.
It is relatively easy to talk about the first part for example:

• exposure value and camera settings (aperture, speed, sensitivity…)
  • white balance, but it is rare that the same scene refers to a single illuminant, for example there are parts in the shade, others in the sun, or the illuminant is composite, etc.
  • input profile: is your camera calibrated? what does the profile do - keep it as close to the colorimetry as possible, or drift voluntarily to customize

These steps, not exhaustive, are not simple and subject to many debates between scientists and users.

The second part is more empirical and uses complex notions called CAM (Color Appearance Model). For example 2 colors that have exactly the same frequency spectrum (first part), may appear different depending on what is around. This way of taking into account a certain form of subjectivity has been modeled since 1997, then in 2002, then in 2016. Today the model used is Cam16. Other approaches exist which are in RT like JzCzHz, but we are leaving this simplified presentation.
Of course there is documentation in RT on each of the points mentioned, but the whole thing with a global and coherent view is difficult to explain and address. Nevertheless I will simplify to the extreme and of course we can exchange afterwards on the points to be clarified (as far as our competences allow it).

I will only address a few points assuming the others are known or more usual.

« White balance » , should we trust the camera, its common sense (sun, shadow …) or use scientific concepts? In the case of images based on daylight (or tungsten) illuminant, I would recommend using “auto” / “temperature correlation”. In many cases the (very) complex algorithm, compares a series of dominant colors of the image to a panel of 200 colors predefined by their spectral data. You get a setting that acts on the temperature and tint with a correlation coefficient. The result is often very good, but of course it will not correct the defects of shooting

The “scene” : corresponds to the shooting conditions put in scientific form:

• shooting temperature ;
  • “absolute luminance” which corresponds roughly to the peak luminance of the image (expressed in cd/m2 from 0.01 to 16000 approximately);
  • “mean luminance” which translates the average calculated luminance of the image
  • “surround” allows you to take into account the environment of the image: dark or black, medium, light. In general, you are the only one who knows…
  • and another parameter the chromatic adaptation (Cat16) which will allow to adapt the colorimetry between the image and the reference (often D50).

"Viewing conditions" : with the same types of parameters as “scene”, but of course with different values.

Of course there are many other parameters, but let’s leave it at that.

What to do?

Everything that has been mentioned in this thread is relevant and I thank everyone for their contribution.

Of course you can use these modules separately or together, but an image as we have seen is rarely uniform in exposure, lighting and sometimes we go out of the purity (overexposure, underexposure, HDR images, etc.).

A module in RT (Local adjustments) allows for selective retouching, taking into account color differences, transitions and other parameters.

You will obviously find modules whose function is close to those of the main module (Color and Light, Exposure, Vibrance, Dehaze, wavelet, etc.), but to come back to your title, one that catches my attention is the “Color appearance Cam16 and JCzHz” module. Don’t go for JzCzHz, but for Cam16.

Local adjustments - Color appearance Cam16": I won’t go into detail, but in summary it includes the same items as the (complex) module “Color Apperance and Lighting” (“Advanced” tab).

It has the advantage (if we can use this term) of being simplified with sliders a little more intuitive.

With it, you can take into account the notions of “source”, “viewing conditions”, make the retouching that seems useful to you (lightness, brightness, contrast, saturation, etc.), a first approach to HDR images, and modify by chromatic adaptation and a simple slider “chromatic adaptation/cat16” in “Viewing conditions” which allows you to warm up or cool down part of the image.

Of course this text, already long, is only a summary and a brief overview of the possibilities.

Jacques

3 Likes