How long before update shows in Ubuntu repository?

I noticed that the updated version of RawTherapee is available to the masses. I see that I can download the appimage, but I am curious how long does it usually take before the repositories pick up the update and allow me to install it via normal channels?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

I’d imagine that without using a PPA, that you’d have to wait until Ubuntu 19.10.

What is your aversion to the AppImage?

To be honest, lack of knowledge. I originally installed the previous stable version from the repository. I was thinking the repository would just upgrade what I am currently using, keeping the photos that I have edited intact in my library. If I use the Appimage, will it update my current version or will it ignore my current install and start from fresh?

The AppImage is self-contained. I won’t update your current version and it won’t remove it either.

Using the AppImage is simple: Download it. In a terminal, do chmod a+x <file name of appimage>, then click it in your file manager.

@Jeff_VE6DV
I take it you did a sudo apt update to see if it is there.

I have the unstable version installed and 5.6 was there.

Yes, that I did. However you mentioned that you are seeing it as an unstable release. I was thinking that since it was released to the public it would have been as stable. Maybe it will just take a few days to make the switch from unstable to stable release.

Thanks for the info. I may download it and give it a go. I try to keep the drive fairly clean so installing multiple copies of software is something I generally avoid. But since it should be easy to remove the Appimage if they do push the update to the repository it should be easy to remove. If nothing more it will be a learning experience.

Welcome, @Jeff_VE6DV!

Claes in Lund, Sweden
a.k.a. SM7KU

Sorry if i wasn’t clear,
on RawTherappees download page, the are are two downloads, stable or unstable, I have always had the unstable one installed.
Someone will be along to tell you if the updated stable 5.6 one is in the repos.

BTW a warm welcome.

The appimage is a particularly good way to stay ahead of the operating system for a specific application. New versions of an application sometimes require later versions of supporting libraries. So, you can download an appimage, use it, and delete it and it won’t have disturbed the good order of the OS.

Hi, Claes. Great to see another operator here on the forums.

Thanks for the help and a welcome to the forums. Got up this morning to find that the update was available in the repo so I am now updated to the newest version. It appears that the update takes about 24 hours before it shows up. But it is good to know that I can install an AppImage and be good to go in a matter of minutes.

I appreciate the help.

Jeff

Well, I may be wrong. It shows that it installed 5.6 from the repository. When I go into the program it still shows version 5.5. If I look at the repository version it shows 5.6.2 and gives me the option to launch the program. When I click on launch it launches 5.5. I am tempted to remove the program and then reinstall to see if that fixes it. But I thought I would ask here if anyone had any other suggestions.

Yeah, mine shows 5.5 in about.
I wouldn’t worry.
In preferences, do you have Pseudo HiDPI mode under general.
If so all is well.

Yes, that I do. Sounds like I am good to go then. Thanks, Keith.

Although I think using an appimage is a better idea, if you need the new version installed prior to Ubuntu 19.10, you would have to add a ppa source to your repository.

The one you would need is from Dariusz Duma, but as always is unsupported and you have to use it at your own risk (it may update several system libraries)

At your terminal, type:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway
sudo apt-get update

It should tell you then that there is a new version of RT.

It’s already installed and working fine in my Mint 19.1 (Ubuntu 18.04), although you may see this odd info in the About window:

It is v.5.6, indeed! No matter how many times it says it is 5.5

P.S.: I’ve been using that repo for years without problems, but that’s not a guarantee!

RawTherapee 5.6’s splash image and version details should look as follows:

If you see anything else, that is a packaging error.

Ping @Dariusz_Duma @MarcinBajor

1 Like

Pinging @Dariusz_Duma @MarcinBajor

Splash screen showing wrong, hopefully you can see the version in synaptic screenshot.

You will have to uninstall rawtherapee-unstable and install rawtherapee (v.5.6-2dhor~bionic)

I can confirm that. Installed today form same ppa and: