How to get a pleasing result in a quick way? (Comparison to Lightroom)

dt is just so good, and gets better every release. It’s very flexible - once you get your head around all the different process modules and how they interact and settle on the ones that suit you - and the masking functionality is awesome.

Here’s my dev and xmp (dt 4.2). First-off I used Tone Equalizer to lighten the shadows and midtones in a straight line (so darkest shads get max than lightest mid get hardly any). Then another instance of TE to darken the bright band of sky behind tree. Then Exposure module with mask to lighten the field/fg. Color Balance RGB to add saturation and lighten mids. Two instances of Diffuse or Sharpen; one to sharpen, the second to add local contrast. Sigmoid to tone map (find it better than Filmic when image contains extreme light source). Local Contrast to give final boost favouring mt/hl.

Lovely shot btw.

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (15.0 KB)
DSC_9310

12 Likes

As this more or less became a “play raw” now … please assign a license to the photo. see this post About the Play Raw category

That was way faster than my attempt.

I love it! Thanks for the screencast as well!

1 Like

Good hint! But there are different CC Licenses. Would CC BY-NC-SA fit the purpose?

1 Like

I don’t think you are stupid but if you are using defaultish DT settings…I know excuse the term but if so DT will fight giving you that yellow which you will see often called rat piss yellow… so don’t be surprised in many cases if you get what looks like more vivid colors from LR… As DT by default puts in place a lot of checks and balances for gamut and hue shift issues…

2 Likes

Sure.

In case you hadn’t seen this recent post and tutorial by @s7habo

1 Like

By the way, what is the status of vkdt? Should we be looking to use it for day to day processing yet?

can’t answer that… i’m using it for all my processing for quite some time now, but will not tell others what to do :slight_smile:

the feature set is different to darktable (which for instance doesn’t have animation/timelapse support) and the ui is different enough to cost you some time coming from dt.

2 Likes

My attempt quite fast with Rawtherapee and Gimp… it coud be better…I still have a lot to learn.

2 Likes

Can’t get a similar result, I guess that shadow/highlights in Lightroom is very powerful

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (10.5 KB)

3 Likes

Another RT :

DSC_9310.NEF.pp3 (24.4 KB)

3 Likes

That was a very challenging task.

Not to have it like in Lightroom version, but to get a pleasant illumination especially in highlights. In a scene like this, one tends to use very strong local contrasts and over-emphasize the texture and saturation.

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (22,6 KB)

Darktable 4.3.0~git671.b312ff20-1+9175.1

9 Likes

My version…

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (25.7 KB)

3 Likes

I think your edit has very strong, mist-like halo over the ground.

Compare with the original shot (only exposure is increased, no filmic or sigmoid, no tone equalizer or any other module):

See how the line of trees is brighter just over the ground than further up?

I think that is the result of masking in tone equalizer.

1 Like

Here are two versions from me:

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (16.2 KB)
DSC_9310_02.NEF.xmp (19.2 KB)

3 Likes

If the aim here was to mimic Adobe Lightroom, I think @Dusenberg wins big time. With this in mind, the mist-halo is a super-plus, no discussion about that. His version is what lightroomers dream of in their wet dreams and will always dream of, and this is why I gave him a heart. I’m not joking.

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah, I also loved that scene. And because I love darktable as well I want to get the best out of it. I bought a Lightroom subscription to learn what the software does and how to apply parts of it in darktable. Won’t prolong it for another year I think. I know my version is somewhat over the top with the colors. Thanks for your attempt to mimic it, it’s great!

2:15 minutes of your screencast has taught me a lot…
Very usefull and insightfull approach, very dirrent from how I handle DT

1 Like