How to get darktable 2.6.2? [solved]

Hi, folks,

Since it looks like Pascal de Bruijn doesn’t update his PPA these days, what are the options to get 2.6.2 for Ubuntu-based distros? I found a link to an OpenSuse-page with downloadable .deb-files and repository in the darktable Facebook group. The .deb-packages complain that I have a newer version installed, which is strange since I have 2.6.1, and the repository has 2.7.x, which I don’t want now. So is my only option compiling myself?

you need to be more clear which repositories (urls) you have used in the past. it can be if you used 2.7 snapshots in the past that you can not go back to 2.6.2 without resetting your sqlite files from darktable. but you can keep using newer 2.7/master snapshots.

all packages built on build.opensuse.org can be found here:

Snap or flatpak are both in the newest release version.

Ok, what I have now is darktable 2.6.1:

$ darktable --version
this is darktable 2.6.1
copyright (c) 2009-2019 johannes hanika

So I went to Install package graphics:darktable / darktable

Tried first to download and install the .deb-package for Ubuntu 18.04, which I think is right for Mint 19.1, called darktable_2.6.2_1.1_amd64.deb. On installing it I get a message that I already have a newer version installed. How can 2.6.1 be newer than 2.6.2???

Secondly I followed instructions to add the repo, did “sudo apt-get update” and “sudo apt-get install darktable”. Got the message that I already had the latest version (1:2.6.1-0pmjdebruijn1~bionic). And the OpenSuse repo shows up in “Software Sources”, but not in Synaptic Package manager. I don’t understand anything at the moment…:confused:

I don’t know what snap is and I don’t want flatpak. I had flatpack Gimp for a while, it was a total pain, completely isolated from the rest of the system. Have been using .debs, PPAs and repos for almost 15 years and it’s brilliant.

well I do not have a VM for testing now … but maybe something like “apt-get install darktable-2.6.2” works. so it switches to that package.

btw: before the apt-get lines there is an instruction to add our repository to your system. did you do that too?

No, that does not work.

Yes, as I said in my last paragraph. And the repo shows up in “Software Sources”. But there is no trace of it in Synaptic, and also Synaptic shows 2.6.1 as the latest version.

I found the solution, for some reason I had to uninstall the old version and disable Pascal’s PPA. Then 2.6.2 appeared in Synaptic and I could install it. My best guess is that a time stamp is wrong somewhere, resulting in the newest version appearing to be older.

3 Likes