How to re-order functions?

I find the top to bottom order of functions in the RawTherapee 5.5 editor to be somewhat random and certainly not in the order I like to run through them when developing a raw file. Is there a way to change the top to bottom order? I know you can add functions to the “favorites” menu and that can at least simplify things, but the functions stay in the same un-obvious top to bottom order.

Paul

That is not possible in the current release.

You’re probably already aware of this, but the order that you do things in not necessarily the order that RawTherapee applies them:

The order of the tools inside RawTherapee’s engine pipeline is hard-coded, so from that point of view it does not matter when you enable or disable a tool.

( Getting Started - RawPedia )

Yes, I am aware (after experimentation with B/W conversion) that the order of tools is not the order of their application / place in the processing chain. What order they are in the chain is a little unclear.

I was asking about re-ordering the tools so they suit my workflow… which is similar to the workflow in the linked article above. Instead of jumping around back and forth from one place to another, why not arrange tools so you go straight down the menu for a first run through processing.

Paul

Yeah, I understand that, and I think what you are asking for would be handy. Not being one of the RT developers, I can’t say whether it would be a big job or what priority they would put on it. Just wanted to make sure that you realized that reordering the tools in the UI would have no bearing on the order they got applied.

Once in a while, I bring up Photivo. It has been out of development for a long time but I used to use it because its layout was straight forward.

This is one of the reasons I developed my own software. I wanted to stack operations in arbitrary orders to see their individual contributions, and in doing so I’ve learned a lot about how digital imaging works.

That said, I do get why RT and dt internally enforce a certain order. It’s not always intuitive that putting something ahead of something else is detrimental to your image quality.

1 Like

This could be the solution for you.