How wil you proces this DNG-photo with ART for the best results? Thank you :)

P1170566-1170568.dng (19.0 MB)

1 Like

Please assign a license to your file.

Hi,
I don’t think there’s a best… I’d do something like this personally (the parameters are embedded in the metadata):

3 Likes

Something like this (without using masks):

P1170566-1170568.dng.arp (12.8 KB)

1 Like

P1170566-1170568.dng.arp (11.9 KB)

a-P1170566-1170568-2.jpg.out.arp (12.0 KB)

Thank you gentlemen for your contributions. I mainly try to discover how best to deal with compression and log tonemapper. Agriggio, when I open the jpg with ART I cannot find the parameters for the settings. (I will add my settings)molen.arp (11.1 KB)

I am a bit intrigued by ART. It would be great to have some simple quick edits as a kickstarter for new users, including me.

What I mean is, post like this from a Rawtherapee expert, brilliant & simply:

or

or from an ART expert:

Maybe something that points to some special ART functions.

That’s not how it works, sorry if it was unclear. You can load the parameters from the jpg as follows:

Thank you! (Very interesting to save the settings in the JPG)
Did you first do the log tonemapper automatically and then a little by hand?
Does compression have any advantages or is it not necessary for a photo like this? (Now I see, you used a color correction with a mask instead. That works really well)

And Soft Light, also interesting to see exactly what this does: a little expansion, the light brighter and the dark darker?

@Ramana, “there’s more than one way to do it” :slight_smile:
Here’s a version with dynamic range compression instead of log tone mapping – and without any local editing:

Often, it’s just a matter of preferences…

1 Like

Here is one with Log Tone Mapping - and blacks restored in the Tone Curves.

1 Like

I downloaded the raw file and thought I’d see if I could get acceptable results with just the Tone Equalizer. I couldn’t because the dynamic range is so large. So I downloaded Alberto’s jpg with embedded processing profile information to see what he did. That was a was a very big help in learning things I didn’t know about using ART. First I wanted to figure out how to embed the processing profile information. You have to enable it the preferences/image processing page under the heading Processing Profile Handling. Then you also need to check the box next to “Save processing parameters with image” on the Queue page under the file format section. This is great because now I don’t need to save sidecar files with the output jpgs. I loaded Alberto’s processing profile from his jpg and saw what he had done with the Log Tone Mapping and Dynamic Range compression. That was a big help. I was able to experiment with it and get a better feel for how it worked. But I was really pleased to find the corrections Alberto made to the highlights and shadows in masked areas using the color correction module. I thought the color correction module was just for color correction. Turns out it’s a lot more powerful than that. Thanks to Ramana for posting the sample high dynamic range image and thanks to Alberto for posting the jpg with embedded processing profile.

3 Likes

I have trouble at this point :woozy_face: How exactly do you load the profile from the jpeg? with side files was clear, but with the embeded profile I cannot figure it out…

Where are you getting stuck?
Did you see Alberto’s explanation above which should help…
Load the raw file. Go to processing profiles. Find Alberto’s Jpeg (your will need to make sure that you have ‘all files’ selected at the bottom. Click open, then the jpeg will be treated like a profile file, and of Alberto’s setting will be loaded…

1 Like

I obviously missed that…
@agriggio can I use your post to create a wiki page for this? It should be usefull as documentation, I hope :slight_smile:

@Daniel_Catalina, sorry I forgot to reply… of course you can use my post! In fact, you don’t even have to ask, I think all the content posted here is CC-licensed automatically…

P1170566-1170568.jpg.out.arp (10.4 KB)