How would you do it differently

Thanks for the play with this photograph.
GIMP. I too removed the bench. Other than that only slight changes. Increased mid-range contrast to emphasise the structure in the field and the reflections in the water.

1 Like

love the brightness, I would saturate it a it though!

This could be style in its own however the grass looks dead giving the feeling of winter while trees are green suggesting summer! :slight_smile:

I like the original edit of @sherebiahtishbi. Difficult to do it differently.

My try.

12 Likes

Thanks. Your edit looks great too especially I liked darkened foreground bushes to make user drawn more toward the serene water & sky!

Very interesting photo, somehow very nostalgic.

I tried to reflect that nostalgic feeling.

Used Saulala. Development string:
Saulala[706, 3.0, 1.64, 1.63, 1.0, 1.0, 0.45, 0.95, 1, 3, 0, 0, 0]

4 Likes

That’s interesting!

_6I_8267.CR3.xmp (15.2 KB)

this one has more extreme colour grading than I normally do

Your monitor must be pretty bright?? On my screen the tree line and much of the upper sky are really crushed…or is that by design??

the jpeg is much darker than my edit, they often are, I did darken blues and greens, just tried a png, it seems a hair lighter in the trees

For me its extreme and I loaded your xmp and its dark…at least for me… It would be interesting for others to comment… so I am not suggesting that I am by any means the gold standard and I am not sure how to show what I see vs what you might see… Is your monitor calibrated??

Just in case this shows it…

Your edit on my screen as a screen shot…

You are using 0.883 for exposure

Using the autopicker which I make a lot of use of… for the whole image set at 50%
It calculates 1.645 EV

THis is often my first look at an exposure for basic images but it will be impacted by the bright sky so I often take the sky out of the selection

Selecting only the fore ground you get around 2.2 EV

Which seems a bit more in the ballpark for overall exposure but now would require some tonal correction for shadows and highlights…

Like I said it just looks extremely dark and its not your export I don’t think as the xmp you provided give me a really dark image…

Maybe others will say my monitor must be too dark … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know, I don’t think I’ve even used the menu on this monitor before, so pretty much factory settings, it’s not calibrated, I’m not sure I can even adjust the brightness, it’s greyed out, I have reduced 8ev by nearly a stop in the tone equalizer, and more of a cut to shadows than I normally do in colour balance

_6I_8267.CR3.xmp (14.3 KB)

5 Likes

_6I_8267.jpg.out.pp3 (13.5 KB)

_6I_8267-1.jpg.out.pp3 (13.6 KB)

2 Likes

My fun with GIMP save Jpegli

1 Like

My version…

_6I_8267.CR3.xmp (19.7 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Kept it simple this time, only a bit haze removal to the clouds

_6I_8267_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (16.9 KB)

2 Likes

Round 2… :see_no_evil:

_6I_8267_01.CR3.xmp (26.8 KB)

4 Likes

Looks nice with significant change in color grading.

darktable 4.6.1 + LUT Provia 100F

_6I_8267_03.CR3.xmp (20.2 KB)

4 Likes