I can't open my files. Is it me?

Just started with Rawtherapee and am finding it impossible to navigate to the folder where all my picture files are kept. They are all on a USB HDD. I can get to the HDD but cannot then get to the folders containing the files. I have read the handbook several times and followed the instructions several times but nothing changes and I am stuck.

Welcome, please give some details about your system.

Do you see your external disk in this list?

What happens if you click it?

What is the image format you want to open? Is this format checked in your preferences?

Do you double click the drive? And you checked the box BELOW the recent folders, because there you will see the content of folders…

Thanks for the replies. My system is a Mac late 2012, running macOS 10.15.2 Catalina. I get the screen similar to that shown ( but the MAC version of course) see picture. Double clicking on PHOTOGRAPHS has no effect. The other hard drives -Verbatim, passport docs, passport pics are also unobtainable.The No Name volume is an old compact flash card with a tiff file on it. That is also unobtainable when it is double clicked.Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 16.05.01.png

Hi @Octman and welcome!

I do not have a Mac – but here is a silly thought:
what happens if you click the small triangle to
the left of PHOTOGRAPHS?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Claes, hello, clicking the small triangle should open the folder I think, to reveal all of the sub folders, one of which is “ pictures” which is where all of the files I want to access are stored. However nothing happens.
Clicking the small triangle in other locations does open up the sub folders usually though

Did you grant RawTherapee read and write access to your disk? I believe you can do that manually in the Security and Privacy preference pane.

@Octman May be you should search in this forum for Catalina … you might be surprised!

The same happened to me with Catalina 10.15.2. It is caused by
System Preferences … → Security & Privacy
where RawTherapee has no rights to access “Files and Folders”.
Other programs trigger a popup dialog asking for confirmation upon first usage.

Here is a workaround: open Finder, navigate to Applications, right click (two fingers) on RawTherapee and select “Show Package Contents”. Double click on
Contents/MacOS/rawtherapee
Then a terminal window will open, start RT and appropriately ask for permissions.

Just to be warned: my second caveat was that RT regularly crashed at startup. In case this happens to you as well: keep trying until RT runs. RT 5.7 works reliably otherwise. The problem is related to GUI updates to show the progress during load of previews. It is macOS (Catalina?) specific and shall be fixed in the upcoming RT 5.8.

2 Likes

Thanks! That did it, it now appears to be doing what it is supposed to do. All it needs now is for me to get to grips with it, which could be more difficult!

1 Like

Hello, I too cannot see the contents of my plugged in external HDDs even though I have given permission. WHen I clicked on the rawtherapee inside Show Package Contents, I got this error:
Last login: Tue Feb 7 11:28:40 on ttys000
/Applications/RawTherapee.app/Contents/MacOS/rawtherapee ; exit;
kevalbharadia@Kevals-MacBook-Pro ~ % /Applications/RawTherapee.app/Contents/MacOS/rawtherapee ; exit;

(rawtherapee-bin:4277): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 17:52:51.780: invalid cast from ‘GtkMenuBar’ to ‘GtkWindow’

(rawtherapee-bin:4277): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 17:52:51.780: gtk_window_add_accel_group: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)’ failed

(rawtherapee-bin:4277): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:52:53.927: Could not load a pixbuf from /org/gtk/libgtk/theme/Adwaita/assets/check-symbolic.svg.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Last login: Tue Feb 7 11:28:40 on ttys000
/Applications/RawTherapee.app/Contents/MacOS/rawtherapee ; exit;
kevalbharadia@Kevals-MacBook-Pro ~ % /Applications/RawTherapee.app/Contents/MacOS/rawtherapee ; exit;

(rawtherapee-bin:4277): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 17:52:51.780: invalid cast from ‘GtkMenuBar’ to ‘GtkWindow’

(rawtherapee-bin:4277): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 17:52:51.780: gtk_window_add_accel_group: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)’ failed

(rawtherapee-bin:4277): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:52:53.927: Could not load a pixbuf from /org/gtk/libgtk/theme/Adwaita/assets/check-symbolic.svg.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

@bushcraftkid What macOS system are you using? What path to the volume are you using? Clicking inside the package is not meant to work; you should definitely be launching the app.