I wonder why...

Dear all,

I stick my neck out carefully, i.e. I start by posting this in The Lounge.

In alphabetical order:

• I just love Darktable.
  • I just love RawTherapee.
  • I just love The Gimp.

The possibilities seem endless, there is no limit to what we can perform using this trio. Among other things, we can select ciecam02, we can make Lab adjustments, we can change input profile, working profile, and output profile. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

But why do we want to change into X, Y, or Z?

There are many learned members on the forum who discuss the importance of this module or that in mathematical terms. But I lack – or rather I long for – a more practical view.

Just how do we know or see that an image would benefit from using, say, a gamma 1.8 profile instead of a linear gamma rec2020 profile? Or vice versa?

What is lacking?

I believe that tutorials on a certain level (i.e. not too high-brow) would be of tremendous help.

What is your opinion?

Sincerely,
Claes in Lund, Sweden

4 Likes

@Claes I think that is where the wikibook (discussed intermittently) would be handy. I do like the accessible tutorial, and have made an effort to praise and encourage the people who provide them, and also tag such posts. I guess I am a perpetrator of some of the high-brow conversation :blush: but that is mostly trying to understand the more abstract concepts and tools.

1 Like

This is one of the main reason I want to start writing (or editing :wink: :wink:). I’d really like for some of the posy processing sections to cover things from a more approachable angle, such as, dealing with clipped highlights or dealing with under exposure (and other common things), then present some modules or tools to improve the image. My initial thought is to not have full blown tutorials, bit rather just a bit on the module in question so the user can experiment.

1 Like

I’ve actually got a new tutorial in the works that is related to some work that @McCap recently did on exposure blending:

I’ve got an image I shot specifically for this during my friend Mairi’s wedding in upstate New York. I’m hoping to have a little time over the holiday (here in the US) to sit down and actually write the darn thing.

Much of what I was hoping to be able to produce would be much more practically-oriented tutorials focusing on real-world concerns and practices. Sometimes it’s easy to get lost in the minutiae and maths, and it may be to the detriment of the art as a whole.

On that note, I am quite sure I (as well as others) are always keen to hear what folks would like to see and where some of the focus should be. I absolutely want to try and help where it’s desired. :smiley:

1 Like