In the style of Giorgio De Chirico (Rome, 2017)

Darktable 4.2.
Nikon D7100, but with a pre-digital-era lens, so don’t expect lens correction to be working.

_DSC6391.NEF (26.3 MB)
_DSC6391.NEF.xmp (12.6 KB)

This file is licensed CC0.

9 Likes

I really like your edit! I didn’t think I could improve on it so I went for a different style…

_DSC6391.NEF.xmp (11.4 KB)

1 Like

Went for a soft pastel look :

_DSC6391.NEF.pp3 (16.1 KB)

4 Likes

And now, for something completely different. I don’t know, it’s what I got.

dt 4.2.1

_DSC6391.NEF.xmp (7.4 KB)

2 Likes

_DSC6391.NEF.xmp (8.3 KB)

1 Like

My version…

_DSC6391.NEF.xmp (13.0 KB)

6 Likes

GIMP.

3 Likes

Thanks for playing with this image in Play Raw, all your interpretations so far look interesting to me. Perhaps the topic does not lend itself to great creative impulses, even if I would have expected that in the range of answers some imaginatively creative solutions would also emerge. Something like this, for instance… :wink:

_DSC6391.NEF.xmp (21.1 KB)

2 Likes

Sorry here is yet another balanced edit :smiley:
High key with some texture enhancement (contrast equalizer, I tried diffuse and sharpen but my old hardware is not having it !)

_DSC6391.NEF.xmp (9.6 KB)

2 Likes

The more I look at your crop, the more I like it.

Nice image!
Just “quick and dirty” masking.

_DSC6391.NEF.xmp (29.6 KB)

2 Likes

@david Sorry if maybe I’m telling you something that you already know, but I’ve been using Gimp for many years and I only recently discovered that you can rotate an image without blurring it. All you have to do is to use the Rotate Tool with “Interpolation: NoHalo”. It’s not the default setting in the Gimp, and until I discovered it, I was terrified whenever I had to use the Rotate Tool.
Forgive me if my comment is not helpful.

I think 1:1 works well in this case to highlight the nice geometric shapes.

I blurred the background (left and top) because I felt it was a distraction from the architecture. I also reduce the contrast in that area.
Thanks however for your suggestion.

No, sorry. I wasn’t talking about the blurred background… I noticed that - unlike me and others - you haven’t straightened the building (which is crooked), so I thought that you didn’t do it because in Gimp this can be problematic.

EDIT: And of course not all buildings need necessarily to be straightened…

Another version…

_DSC6391_03.NEF.xmp (29.5 KB)

4 Likes

A level of abstraction that walks on a step further. Wonderfully creative edit. I really love it. Thank you.

1 Like

@dqpcoxeas How did you do the frame?

In the Censorize module, I made the perimeter of the image with the path tool +Ctrl, decreased the dimensions a little and put the following parameters.

Captura de pantalla de 2023-02-28 22-22-27.png

2 Likes

I never used this module. But congratulations for having used it in a semantic/communicating way. Beautiful.