Info: macOS 13 breaks darktable

preset menus doesn’t work with recent macOS13 Ventura (see Preset's not selectable on MacOS Ventura · Issue #12708 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub ) with x86_64 and m1 builds.
A build using latest macOS13 sdk doesn’t fix it, so using development builds isn’t a solution yet.

Since there’s no known workaround yet don’t upgrade to macOS13 if you need to use darktable.

5 Likes

it seems, the menu doesn’t get focus properly.
workaround for that:

• open preset menu
  • move mouse pointer outside the menu over a module header or module parameter
  • wait until the tooltip occurs
  • move mouse pointer back to the menu
  • then the highlighting of menuitems on mouseover is active, and selecting by click works fine
1 Like

This workaround doesn’t work for me. But I can open the preset menu and navigate up and down with the arrow keys. The options highlight as I do this, and are selectable with Return.

It looks like it may be a gtk issue, as it has been reported here:

(I’m on a mid-2017 iMac, Intel Core i5)

Rats! The arrow keys workaround doesn’t seem to work for the processing modules in darkroom.

…but Martin’s tip about slowly moving the mouse pointer to another item till the tooltip appears does seem to work for processing modules. (Weird!)

It’s a gtk3 issue and a fix is in the pipe
see macos13: presets menu doesn't get focus for mouse actions · Issue #12727 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

1 Like

unfortunately the bugfix for gtk3 issue isn’t yet in the macports gtk3 package so the issue is not fixed within official darktable 4.2 build for osx.
So if you are on ventura the you might use this build with an early gtk patch to cope with that issue. But that patch isn’t identical to the final bugfix, so handle with care since there might be side effects with the gui.
darktable-4.2.0_x86_64.dmg
(this build also contains a couple of RF lensfun data from: Kameratrollet )

if you need a native m1 build, the you might build it yourself following darktable/BUILD-ARM64.txt at master · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub using the early gtk3 patch from macos13: presets menu doesn't get focus for mouse actions · Issue #12727 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub or be patient until macports is updated :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @MStraeten for the great efforts building macOS packages! I have been using a 4.1.0 package for some days now and would like to update to 4.2.0, but the link in your comment seems to be absent?

fixed the link…

2 Likes

The arrow keys does work for me (Macbook Pro ARM, Ventura). Not the “mouse outside”

However, dropdown menus / lists are not affected, only menu from hamburger or [+] button.

Is this issue still there? Should I avoid upgrading to Ventura?

wonders doesn’t happen - even developers are allowed to have christmas days :wink:
the issue is still there -if it’s fixed there‘ll be a notice … and maybe an official build - but that’s up to the maintainer :wink:

1 Like

I see, I was just asking because I’m new to darktable

The workaround suggested works for me, it is little bothersome but it works!

current OSX Build - #599 by MStraeten