Instructions to build Natron in Linux

(Fred Fonkle) #1

I am trying to set up a development build of Natron in Kubuntu 18.10. I follow these instructions:
https://github.com/NatronGitHub/Natron/blob/RB-2.3/INSTALL_LINUX.md

I can build the Natron SDK in /opt/Natron-sdk but then qmake -r gives this error:

sh: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting “)”)

When I try to manually install dependencies using tools/travis/install_dependencies.sh it returns this error:

tools/travis/install_dependencies.sh: line 240: /Global/plugin-branches.sh: No such file or directory

while /Global/plugin-branches.sh does exist…

Are these the most up to date instructions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes

(Escape) #2

I also had issues following the instructions. I’m on Arch. What worked for me was was installing some of the dependencies manually using AUR and then installing natron from AUR.

0 Likes

(Fred Fonkle) #3

I am trying to set up a development environment for Natron which builds and debugs using Qt Creator. I have tried installing the dependencies using the Kubuntu package manager (apt), which works fine, yet I stumble upon the mentioned errors which make no sense to me yet.

Since this is step 1 in getting to grips with the Natron code, I figured there must be some more accurate information to help with the build available somewhere?

0 Likes

(Siddhant Rane) #4

@devernay

0 Likes

(Fred Fonkle) #5

If I set TRAVIS_BUILD_DIR environment variable to the root path of the Natron git repo, the /toolemphasized texts/travis/install_dependencies.sh script seems to work. At least it finishes and I can run /tools/travis/build.sh afterwards.

I cannot confirm if that is the way it is intended to work, but it got me up and running.

0 Likes

(Frédéric Devernay) #6

I added this section to the doc: https://github.com/NatronGitHub/Natron/blob/RB-2.3/INSTALL_LINUX.md#environment-to-use-the-natron-sdk

You should definitely use the Natron SDK, which is the recommended way to build Natron.

0 Likes

(Fred Fonkle) #7

Ah good, thank you very much!

Step by step, we’re getting there :).

0 Likes