Is it possible to use "SpyderCheckr 24" in RT?

Hello,
I have a “SpyderCheckr-24” test card that is used to create a camera profile.
The associated software is only written for Adobe software.
Is it possible to use this pattern (.xmp or .xml or “lrtemplate” in RT or transform these Adobe profiles in pp3 profile ?
Tks

In fact, I would like to try to adapt the parameters took from Lr in pp3.

Exemple of LR parameters :

internalName = "lrlrlr",
	title = "lrlrlr",
	type = "Develop",
	value = {
		settings = {
			ConvertToGrayscale = false,
			EnableColorAdjustments = true,
			HueAdjustmentAqua = -15,
			HueAdjustmentBlue = 0,
			HueAdjustmentGreen = -16,
			HueAdjustmentMagenta = 3,
			HueAdjustmentOrange = -1,
			HueAdjustmentPurple = 0,
			HueAdjustmentRed = -5,
			HueAdjustmentYellow = 1,
			LuminanceAdjustmentAqua = 4,
			LuminanceAdjustmentBlue = -3,
			LuminanceAdjustmentGreen = 4,
			LuminanceAdjustmentMagenta = -1,
			LuminanceAdjustmentOrange = 2,
			LuminanceAdjustmentPurple = 0,
			LuminanceAdjustmentRed = -3,
			LuminanceAdjustmentYellow = 8,
			ParametricDarks = 0,
			ParametricHighlightSplit = 75,
			ParametricHighlights = 0,
			ParametricLights = 0,
			ParametricMidtoneSplit = 50,
			ParametricShadowSplit = 25,
			ParametricShadows = 0,
			SaturationAdjustmentAqua = 1,
			SaturationAdjustmentBlue = -2,
			SaturationAdjustmentGreen = 0,
			SaturationAdjustmentMagenta = 5,
			SaturationAdjustmentOrange = 0,
			SaturationAdjustmentPurple = -5,
			SaturationAdjustmentRed = 5,
			SaturationAdjustmentYellow = 4,
			ToneCurve = {
			},
			ToneCurveName = "Medium Contrast",
		},

You can use the SpyderCheckr-24 chart to create a DCP color profile which should work in RawTherapee:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_create_DCP_color_profiles

OK, Thanks a lot for your answer.
Unfortunately, the charte used is a X-Rite Charte which isn’t compatible with my Spyder charte.
pity…

That doesn’t make sense to me, could you explain?

Yes, I’ll try…

The link, you gave me, explains how to create a DCP profil : OK !
But the process use a X-Rite chart while I only own a Spyder chart.
It is why I’m not able to apply this process.
But it may be that I misunderstands the text?

DCamProf supports all popular charts. Instead of ColorChecker.cht use the appropriate chart from /usr/share/argyllcms/ref/

I am curious about the whole thing but I can’t run the Adobe software to check for myself. Please provide the following:

1. A screenshot of the “associated software” for processing the chart with the chart loaded,
  2. Please save and upload all files this “associated software” can produce: .xmp, .xml, lrtemplate and anything else. All.
  3. A screenshot of the raw photo of the chart opened in LR using LR’s most neutral profile possible.
  4. A saved JPEG of the image you just took a screenshot of in the previous step.
  5. A screenshot of the same raw photo, this time with one of those files from step 2 loaded.
  6. A saved JPEG of the image you just took a screenshot of in the previous step.

Please upload the raw file, all screenshots, the saved JPEG files and the .xmp, .xml, lrtemplate etc. file using http://filebin.net/
Then maybe we can figure out how to translate the .xmp, .xml, lrtemplate into PP3.

Hello
I’m very buzy these days. I’ll try a bit later.
Thanks a lot for your help

(Thread revival)

• short answer, yes, it is possible with a few additional tools; I’m not saying it’s “easy” to evaluate the quality of the made profile, though
  • longer answer follows,
  • note: there are several colour checker manufacturers, other than Datacolor and Calibrite (X-Rite): see these examples

Hey, it’s 2022 and in the current dev branch of RT (5.8), I’ve just successfully imported a (poorly) processed Datacolor Spydercheckr 24 DCP for a specific purpose.

What I’m calibrating: nikon D750 + micro nikkor AF 60mm AF + CN-T96 LED light source (boxed in a Skier Sunray Copy box, meant as a backlight for scanning film).

I’ve just acquired the Datacolor target and spent a few hours making sense of the “basic” workflow that involves:

1. argyllcms scanin module (source: homebrew)
  2. dcamprof (source: github)

What I’ve done (to get it to “work”) follows:

1. take a “decent” shot (light at 45°, ETTR, straight, slightly defocused, etc.)
  2. in RT, open the raw file
    a. check raw histogram
    b. apply the Neutral profile to it,
    c. apply (if possible) Lens corrections (distortion, vignette, chromatic aberration)
    d. rotate it so the “white” patch (A1 in the description matrix used by argyllcms, 1E in the spydercheckr 48) is at the top left corner
    e. straighten shot
    f. crop with a bit of margin
    g. (I had glare) reduce glare slightly with a -0.20EV gradient filter
    h. save as reference image without white balance
  3. run scanin
  4. run dcamprof (make profile then make dcp)
  5. try to make sense of the console output (Delta E (written as DE), perceptual error)
  6. import newly made dcp in RT.

Command lines used (I’m on an M1 mac):

# output a .ti3 file we'll use in `dcamprof`
scanin -v -p -dipn rawtherapee_reference_image.tif /opt/homebrew/Cellar/argyll-cms/2.3.0/ref/SpyderChecker24.{cht,cie}

# output a `.json` profile we'll then use in `make-dcp`
~/programs/dcamprof/dcamprof/src/dcamprof make-profile -g ~/programs/dcamprof/dcamprof/data-examples/cc24-layout.json ~/Pictures/D750/spyderchecker_24/D750_60mm_CN-T96_20220625/nikon_D750_60mmAFD_CN-T96_spydercheckr24.{ti3,profile.json}

# output a dcp file we'll be able to import in RT
 ~/programs/dcamprof/dcamprof/src/dcamprof make-dcp -n "Nikon D750" -d "NikonD750_60mmAFD_CN-T96" -t acr ~/Pictures/D750/spyderchecker_24/D750_60mm_CN-T96_20220625/nikon_D750_60mmAFD_CN-T96_spydercheckr24.profile.{json,dcp}

Ref:

1 Like

If your experimenting using DT you could try the internal calibration. It supports the spydercheckers and you don’t even need to create custom icc files…you are messing with dcp but DT will only use icc files. The internal one that you cite the reference to creates channel mixer coefficients to assist in match the color…

You can avoid custom profiles by using the unique method in DT embedded in the color calibration module…

I just mention this as you mention negatives and DT …are you using negadoctor or some other method to process the scans
??

Hi @priort

I’m not really familiar with darktable. The module I used (color calibration > calibrate with a color checker) is the one @anon41087856 explained in a bit of detail in his video and it indeed supports the Datacolor Spydercheckr targets.

I’m using the RawTherapee film negative module, developed by @rom9 - which is why I’m talking about DCP files. I haven’t played with darktable’s Negadoctor in a while.

Ya that is the one…but it sounds more like you will be using RT …