JPG Export doesnt match DT Screen colours

Hi @priort I cannot find that folder in windows for some reason so cannot add the ICC… yet… Im happy to try it - but this would mean that every time I calibrate the displays I would have to update the ICC?

Steve

@g-man its as attached

DT Colour 2

DT Colour 3

And the intent (i think it is in preferences)?

Hmm… I cant find the intent anywhere?

There is the one where the second monitor is switched on… is this the one?
DT Colour 4

Steve

I’m not at home, so i cant check.

Try adjusting the export intent. Try perceptual.

No problem - I appreciate the help.

No matter what export intent I set there is no real difference. I may install DT on my laptop with non calibrated screen and see what happens on there. I have another workstation I could possibly try it on too… again no calibrated screen on that either.

Steve

Most profiles don’ t support intent…doesn’t matter if you set it…AP was recently commenting on it. Only if the profile has the correct tables and even then I don’t think The little CMS is working at least according to him

It’s in user/userame/appdata/local/Darktable. If you don’t have color subfolder make one and then add a subfolder called in and one called out… this is where you would put it.

I’ll try on Windows with 4.0 when I have some time.

@snibgo - your JPG is a really nice one, thanks for sharing :+1: Now, I’m a little puzzled I must admit :rofl: and I try to sum a little up my updated experience here:

• It seems that in the meantime, Windows “photo” did some improvements. After a short flickering from “red” = green and “blue” = red, it renders the colors now correctly showing “red” = red and “blue” = blue on my Windows 10 system. So I withdraw my comment above concerning Windows “photo” :slight_smile:
  • Interestingly, Windows “mail” still renders it incorrectly: “red” = green and “blue” = red.
  • Firefox on Android => wrong
  • Firefox on Windows => correct

So I really appreciate this little helper… :smiley:

1 Like

This is what I was talking about confirming…so be sure the OS is setup and using the profile that you want…in your case that would be the latest one that you create with your Spyder device…

Here is a great video from one of my favourite content providers on the topic of monitor calibration and color management…

Now take the additional step of copying that profile to the folder I mentioned above for DT… ie under AppData subfolder in the windows OS users folder.

THis should ensure that the OS and DT are on the same page displaying your content and now if you use an app supporting DT it should match what you expect…

Fingers crossed…

Hi Todd - Ok so i have copied the ICC profiles over to DT - they appear in the softproofing options and the export profile options. So assume they are ok. I have confirmed both monitors are using the appropriate ICC too (spyder x file per monitor) so we are looking ok there I think.

If i export using ‘image settings’ its still the same - large blue colour shift. If I export using the display profile - exactly the same issue - large blue colour shift. If I use the softproofing button - again no changes between display and system.

I honestly think I need to try this on a different machine to ensure its not something strange about this machine in particular, although to be honest your output I thought was also a large shift too… which makes me wonder about an issue in windows. It seems to me too that its only the blue affected on this image - the skin tones seem very similar.

@snibgo

Thanks for this - is the file available anywhere or just right click download on the image (wasnt sure if that was original) If its just download then all my apps seem to be fine…

Steve

Actually you can really only control what happens on your PC…and then using something standard like sRGB should keep it close but once it leaves your PC others might see something lighter darker etc depending on their monitors and software configuration…

1 Like

try also exporting with high quality resampling turned off… I am trying to remember but I think it was @kofa that noticed something while doing some testing in another post… wrt the preview and export pipeline results…

1 Like

Yes, just right-click save-as, or whatever, to download the jpeg. If you examine the pixels in the “red” word you will see they are approx RGB(0,95%,0), and the “blue” word pixels are RGB(76%,0,7%). The embedded ICC color profile has weird primaries that put the colours back to normal.

No, I don’t think so.

The same test as in JPG Export doesnt match DT Screen colours - #28 by kofa, but with darktable 4.0.0 on Windows (raw vs exported JPG (reimported)). There is a clear difference. So, it appears to be a bug in 4.0.0, which is no longer present in the current master, and has nothing to do with the display profile, embedded profile, colour management.

HI @kofa

Good to know for once it isnt me :slight_smile: out of interest on the JPG on the RHS shoulder of the JPG, (lhs of image) along the slight crease parallel with the edge of his shoulder, the blue is a mushy mess to… showing a defined blob of gradient. Could that be part of this issue to? It shows in a few other places but I cant remember where as i’m at work

Steve

be aware also of this long lasting bug:

Thanks for that - only using DT on the one monitor… but something for me to be aware of :slight_smile:

Steve