Kodak KC2 files

@geckerdt What Operating System are you using?

Windows 11

@geckerdt, downloaded your file and libraw doesn’t recognize it. I need to run an errand, will poke at it a bit this evening…

vkdt/rawspeed doesn’t like it.
Neither does exiftool.
Or exiv2.

I’m out of software to try…

Downloaded the KC2 file. Will take a look later. Don’t forget to upload one at https://raw.pixls.us

Edit: Tried with dcraw and RawTherapee. Couldn’t even detect in RawTherapee. Adobe DNG Converter didn’t work.

Thank you for all your efforts! What great support.

Not to great, didn’t solve your problem…

I did some more digging, draw was apparently modded to do kc2 files. I’m not at a computer right now, will try that later today…

ok, no joy. Got a few minutes before we went grocery shopping:

$ dcraw 705PHIL3.KC2
Cannot decode file 705PHIL3.KC2

Still poking at it…

LibRaw mentions this model in the code… Haven’t tried though.

From a quick github search libraw might read it? This image viewer includes libraw with kc2 support. Also has windows installer.

1 Like

@K-1 I tried that viewer just now (thanks @geckerdt for letting me download the image) - two different versions actually, as I wasn’t sure. Works well on other files, but not the .KC2 :slightly_frowning_face:
Also tried Adobe DNG converter - no go.

Does binwalk show anything? File could be corrupt.

Is there a Windows build for binwalk? Unfortunately I don’t a linux machine running, nor, TBH the skills really…
edit - looks like there is - Release v2.3.4: Merge pull request #577 from nmantani/fix-windows-breakage (unofficial release) ¡ CypherpunkSamurai/binwalk-win ¡ GitHub

binwalk_win-x64.exe -e 705PHIL3.KC2

returned

DECIMAL HEXADECIMAL DESCRIPTION

But I don’t really know what I’m doing…

Edit - whatever I try I get the same blank output?

I just tried XNviewMP as well as I found a reference (likely wrong anyway) that it read KC2s, but again, no luck. @geckerdt is there any interesting history to this file? I’m wondering if it was, say, recovered from a failing hard drive, or anything else that could have corrupted it?

If the aim is to save some memories, and not to process the files: do they have an embedded JPG preview that can be extracted? Far from ideal, but at least something.
If there are such difficulties just extracting the raw data, I think there won’t be a colour matrix floating around, and raw black/white levels, and so on.

For anyone interested, there is some interesting info here - DCS 200 TWAIN driver and KC2 converter - Vintage DSLR forum
Oh, I see it’s already been posted - I downloaded the converter zip, and discovered that (a) it won’t run on Win11 and (b) a sample KC2 file is included, which does open using the viewer @K-1 suggested, albeit in monochrome.
Suggests to me that either the file I’m looking at is corrupted, or from a different model.

Edit: that sample file from the link above opens in RT5.9 too!

Kodak Professional DCS Photo Desk supports images from the following Kodak DCS cameras:

• DCS 315
  • DCS 330
  • DCS 520
  • DCS 560
  • DCS 620
  • DCS 620x
  • DCS 660
  • DCS 660M
  • DCS 720x
  • DCS 760
  • DCS 760M
  • SCS 2000
  • DCS Pro Back
  • DCS Pro Back Plus
  • DCS Pro Back 645C
  • DCS Pro Back 645H
  • DCS Pro Back 645M
  • DCS Pro 14n

Windows 2000/XP Software i was able to run with Wine, but it fails to open the “F14.KC2” example file.

dcraw however has some insight.

dcraw -v -i F14.KC2

Filename: F14.KC2
Timestamp: Thu Jan  1 00:00:00 1970
Camera: Kodak DCS200
ISO speed: 0
Shutter: 0.0 sec
Aperture: f/0.0
Focal length: 0.0 mm
Embedded ICC profile: no
Number of raw images: 1
Thumb size:   192 x 128
Full size:   1536 x 1076
Image size:  1536 x 1024
Output size: 1536 x 1024
Raw colors: 3
Filter pattern: GR/BG
Daylight multipliers: 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000

Trying to find an older version of that Kodak Software.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the help!

1 Like

I have just found the Kodak Professional DCS 200ci camera, S/n K380-7590. If anyone is interested in having it I would gladly give and send it to you . I am not sure if it is still operational. It was replaced with a newer camera. The only obvious problem is the battery pack is crakced.

1 Like