Kodak KC2 files

received 705PHIL3.KC2 from @geckerdt but no luck with DCS Photo Desk 3.0.0.24

Apparently the 200ci is the color version, so these files should have color. From the manual either Adobe Photoshop, 1.0.7 on Apple SystemV 6.0.7 or Aldus PhotoStyler 1.1A on Windows 3.1 are required.

I’ll see if it’s possible to emulate any of these somehow.

Some strings in the file do indicate the file itself is OK.

KODAK   DCS 200
K380-7590

Model, time, date and serial.

2 Likes

Not much luck with emulators, as both Mac and PC methods require a Kodak “scanner” driver, in addition to the graphic software.

@geckerdt Your best chance may be to contact Ralf Jannke, who wrote an extensive article with a working camera. They are able to read and convert these KC2 files.

1 Like

That article is a good find. This is a Google translate version - Kodak DSLR DCS200 - Digitalkamera-Museum

It sounds like an old (as in 30years) Mac is the easiest option…

@geckerdt , glad you found the camera! I’m in Australia and don’t think I’d be able to do much anyway, but thanks for the offer :slightly_smiling_face:

There are email addresses on this page, albeit slightly hidden. Über... - Digitalkamera-Museum @K-1’s suggestion of contacting them sounds a good one. I’d be willing to lend a hand if needed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ralf’s email is linked at the article (top right).

Running twain scanner drivers from win3.1 with the Wine emulator didn’t work, wine crashed at install.

However, I might give Virtualbox a try. The “scanner” doesn’t have to exist, just the install should finish.

The twain menu should have a option to load from a kc2 file.

Pretty complicated setups, with external hard drives literally strapped to the camera body. SCSI bus addressing… That anyone even managed to take a picture and with that price tag…

1 Like

Some progress with win3.1 under VirtualBox. The Kodak Twain driver did install and the KC2 file can be loaded. The 15MB file actually contains multiple images it seems.

2 Likes

The “Copy to File” button actually makes an individual single ~1.6MB KC2 raw file.

dcraw -i -v 1.KC2

Filename: 1.KC2
Timestamp: Thu Jan  1 00:00:00 1970
Camera: Kodak DCS200
ISO speed: 0
Shutter: 0.0 sec
Aperture: f/0.0
Focal length: 0.0 mm
Embedded ICC profile: no
Number of raw images: 1
Thumb size:   192 x 128
Full size:   1536 x 1076
Image size:  1536 x 1024
Output size: 1536 x 1024
Raw colors: 3
Filter pattern: GR/BG
Daylight multipliers: 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000

After raw development by the Kodak tool, it results in a 24bit image that can be saved as TIFF. I haven’t found any .icm/.icc files inside the win3.1

Edit:

While there isn’t a .icm/.icc profile with the Kodak twain driver, it does contain this particular file:

cat \~KDC200.MAX
#VER3.0
73 -14 -27
-3 42	-7
-28 -16 76

63   -9  -22
-1   38   -5
-22 -11   65

MONO
1.55	1.25
COLOR
1.55	1.25
IRMONO
1.55	1.25
OTHERS
1.55	1.25

DAY
105 168 78
TUNG
189 242 105
TungBG40
131 222 76
FLUOR
105 203 69
FLASH
120 209 93
NONE
240 240 240

The bottom values seem to match the labels for the “Balance” drop down in the above screenshot.

4 Likes

Wow…
Just to confirm, are you working with the file from @geckerdt ?

Yes, the big mystery was, that the 15MB 705PHIL3.KC2 file contains multiple images. That’s why nothing could read it.

The old Kodak software does an OK job with white balance but brightness is rather blown out. dcraw doesn’t get the white balance correct.

Can anyone make sense of the above numbers to create a ICC profile for dcraw?

1 Like

Fantastic progress I say!

Not me… @ggbutcher maybe? Shot in the dark…

Another clue on the processing applied from the twain driver readme file:

CMYK SEPARATION GAMMA:
A check box called CMYK Separation Gamma is in the DCS 200 control panel. When this is selected all images acquired have a gamma of 1.25 applied, otherwise a gamma of is 1.55 is applied. The lower gamma of 1.25 results in less noise in the CMYK channels when the image is separated.

Those matrices might be primaries, one then might be D65. I’d need a raw file I can read to test, though…

1 Like

@geckerdt has the separated individual kc2 files in the email inbox. I’ll let them manage and decide the distribution.

I also repeated the plea, of having one file in the public domain, for development and testing.

4 Likes

How do you post a file into the public domain? I posted two files to the site.

1 Like

This is simply a question of license and permission. “Public Domain” means “granting the public an unconditional, irrevocable, non exclusive, royalty free license to use the work for any purpose.”

This allows developers to freely collect, use and copy the raw camera files, without worries about legal issues.

Simply agreeing to these terms and uploading a file to raw.pixls.us puts the file into the “public domain”.

1 Like