Lightening a area

I have a photo with a section of the background in a shadow. I would like to lighten it as I want the focus of the photo on the boy in it, and I think the dark area distracts from accomplishing that. I would like help on the best way to select it and to lighten the coloring.

I have tried using parametric selection in dt, but that has left a thin line on the right side of the shadow unselected. I have also tried Free Select in GIMP, but haven’t been able to make a smooth transition from the dark area to the light area.

So far I have just tried increasing the exposure of the area, but I don’t like the color. As I have little experience in modifying color, I am interested in tips on that.

I am posting the relevant section of the photo because I don’t wish to post the whole photo of the boy, a grandson. I haven’t asked permission to do that because it will be a surprise gift if I get it to look like I want it.

IMG_3629 191013 2133.tif (37.5 MB)
This file is licensed
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-Alike ).

If I have created a problem by posting a tif, I can change it to a jpg.

I tried using the color zones module with drawn & parametric mask, while playing with the sliders a bit. Hope this helps.

1 Like

@sls141

Yes, that helps. Thanks.

@sls141
I can’t get the dotted line to appear around the path. It does show up for other shapes.

What’s the difference between setting the feathering size by shift+scroll and by the feathering radius?

How about that? Just a tone curve with multiple parametric masking.

IMG_3629%20191013%202133(1)_01
IMG_3629 191013 2133(1).tif.xmp (1.3 KB)

1 Like

@Thomas_Do
I can’t load the sidecar because, I suspect, it’s from a Linux version that is newer than my Windows version. I looked carefully at what sls141 did, and I learned a lot from it.

Yes, it’s darktable 2.7, but builds exist also for Windows.

As far as I know, the latest for Windows is 2.6.2.

Did you look at my link?

That required thinking. I have the new build now: darktable-2.7.0+1477_g7740b7a8c-win64.exe.

Thanks for the heads up.

Actually, it looks like darktable-2.7.0+1859_gce84aeff9-win64.exe does not have any issues.

Installed.

Wow!!!

Sorry I couldn’t get back to you yesterday. Sometimes I need to zoom in a lot to get the dotted line visible. Then put the pointer between the solid an dotted lines and scroll away. The difference between the scroll and slider feathering is one for Darktable developers to answer. Frankly, I don’t know.

I have found that I have to zoom to 400%. Thanks for your reply.