Local adjustment for spot removal

Are there any plans for this feature in RT?. I tried the “ART” implementation for spot removal and it works quite well.

Now that local adjustments are a reality, what are the chances for a spot removal tool?

Raw spot removal is not 100% efficient in any existing raw handler to date Mike, and is normally quite RAM intensive (Lightroom and CapOne at any rate).
It’s far better done when ALL other image adjustments are complete, including to a degree any dodge or burn work in Photoshop/GIMP.
Done in a RIP it’s faster and far less taxing on computer resources such as CPU and RAM.
Here’s how I approach it in Ps, but GIMP would be the same:

3 Likes

http://rawpedia.pixls.us/Local_controls#Removing_sensor_defects_or_spots

This isn’t as versatile or as quick as a dedicated spot-removal tool but it’s worth keeping in mind.

Wayne

I can certainly do the dust removal work in PS as you suggest. That said, for removing a half dozen or so spots, Art’s implementation works quite well.

In RT you can look:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Local_controls#Removing_sensor_defects_or_spots

Cheers!

Of course, if we all exercised the art/skill of shooting flat field frames immediately after our ‘light frames’ then dust bunnies would, for the most part, become a thing of the past - just a passing thought!

I would imagine that such a module could be used in conjunction with the default processing file for a given camera. For example; my camera sensor has a few dust or oil spots, not sure which, that show up in every photo in the same location. I could save repairs to these spots as part of the default processing file which would save time and editing redundancy. More often than not for my model ship photography, I don’t have the need to finish things up in PS. As Andy has pointed out, things can start to drag in Lightroom when doing multiple spot removals. I have not found that to be the case in ART. Perhaps others would find this useful as well.

I’d love to see the spot removal tool in 5.9.
I think it’s annoying to open a photo in another app just to remove a spot. The ART version seems ok and usable. I think this tool is a really important and should not be missing, even if it is a simple version of this kind of tool.
I wonder why it is still not in the development built. I checked out the discussion on github and apparently it was planned for 5.9. So what’s going on here?

Weren’t it The Supremes who sang “You can’t hurry love… no you’ll just have to wait”? :wink:
The reality is that development is stretched rather thin for RawTherapee, few people are contributing, so even for obvious features we won’t always have someone willing to implement it. We’ve still seen some major changes since 5.8, so there is progress, but maybe not on this front. Never say never though…

4 Likes

Raw Therapee is free, and the devs work for nothing, so you can’t hold them, or RT, to account as you would paid software developers and paid-for applications…

As photographers we make visual demands - but these have to be understood and then coded by mathematicians, and that is bloody hard work - for which no one earns a penny.

Perhaps if more people supported or donated then things could sometimes move a little faster, but how many people in the world do you know who would do this stuff for free in their spare time?
Just a thought…

2 Likes

I am just expressing my opinion about the priorities.
There is a brach of RT that already includes this feature, it was merged with the dev in May I believe. I tried to compile it but failed so far.

I think I know very well what the devs do.

The spot-removal branch is orphaned. Currently it’s 2143 commits behind dev.

1 Like

I think you refer to the Local adjustment branch here, which would certainly be capable of some form of spot removal. Though, it won’t be as easy as other implementation (like in ART).

@heckflosse You just described a very effective way of torture. Try to resolve those merge conflicts :smiley:

I already started to do that :wink:

2 Likes

Brave soul :relieved:

2 Likes

@Thanatomanic Roel, I merged dev into the spot_removal branch
@betazoid Anna, you should now be able to compile it

2 Likes

@heckflosse thank you!

1 Like

just in case you hadn’t seen it, there’s also a way of removing sensor dust and spots in local adjustments. Local Adjustments - RawPedia
It’s not as convenient as a dedicated tool but it’s worth keeping in mind.

1 Like

For those that like @Andy_Astbury1’s PS approach, but want to do this using GIMP.

It’s even easier in GIMP 'cause they made a way of doing this without the need to create the curve:

View → Display Filters… → (add) contrast

Use the slider to adjust the view, which would be roughly similar to the inverse and topping off the curve in Andy’s video.

Here’s a really quick and dirty video showing how this works: gimp.spots.mkv (7.7 MB)

4 Likes