Local adjustment for spot removal

Ingo,

Does this mean that we might see spot removal in 5.9?

Yes, 5.9 will have the new Local Adjustments tab. Which, among many, many other things, can do sensor spot/defects removal (I say cautiously). Do have a look at the RawPedia link posted by @Wayne_Sutton and @arturoisilvia

Why am I cautious? You cannot compare this with the retouch/clone/healing that GIMP (or PS) offers, so it depends a bit on what your expectations are.

1 Like

The spot removal tool in the spot removal tool branch is simple but better than nothing
Usually I don’t want to remove dust or spots but larger things, so that’s probably not possible with local adjustments

1 Like

@stuntflyer: After reading @betazoid’s reply I’m not sure if you meant spot removal in general (if so, see my previous reply) or the dedicated spot removal tool that Anna has been talking about.

I also just merged that branch into dev and it works nicely (after testing it for 5 whole minutes :slight_smile: ).

Not sure if this one will be in 5.9. There must be a reason why it isn’t available in the current master atm. Me, and Anna as well, like to live dangerously by using the development version and merging branches that are potentially going to break RT…

1 Like

A simple spot removal tool for sensor dust, etc. is all I am hoping for. Anything more would be great.

I guess it would make more sense to include the improved spot removal tool from ART in RT. I am compiling ART master right now, I think there are some more improvements in this tool. But I think the tool that is available in the RT spot removal tool branch is ok, too. Anyway, the core/original code of both tools seems to be from the same dev.

2 Likes

I was quite happy with the ART Spot Removal tool when I tried it a while back. I hope that it makes its way into RT.

I have not (yet) spend any time playing with ART, so I must take your word for it. It does make sense to “borrow” each others strong points though. That is assuming there is no bad blood between the developers :smile: and it is in the philosophy of the program (there’s a reason why ART split away from RT).

My idea about spot removal is a rather simple one; If there are very few spots that needs removing I want/like to use the RAW editor. Anything more serious and I pull it into GIMP. Main reasons being that GIMP has more specialized tools and doing retouching/spot removal in a RAW editor slows down your editing way too much.

2 Likes

I have not noticed any such thing with the RT/ART spot removal tool, although I used many points. And my computer is not really fast.
The retouch module in DT, that does indeed slow down the computer, but I think the more simple spot removal tool there does not.

2 Likes

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1upBLOtSrQbLdSt-sWBGWyDmPEOxaVTN7?usp=sharing

I have compiled RT dev with the spot removal tool on Manjaro and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. They are being uploaded right now, but it takes a lot of time to upload. Hope they are functional and useful for someone. At least I’d be happy if I get feedback and hear if they are usable on other systems than mine. I have compiled them on a recent i7 laptop.

Will this ever see its way onto the windows 10 os?

I can build whatever branch for W10 . Is it spot-removal-tool

I’m not a dev, but I would imagine they would call it spot removal

https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW64NightlyBuilds/RawTherapee_spot-removal-tool_5.8-2705-g19e3833e6_W64_generic_201124.7z
uploaded

Works great on my w10 computer!

For me,
(W10)

Blockquote

generic spot-removal-tool and filmneg skylake

are good
merci at gaaned92

@betazoid @gaaned92
I have tested it on win 10
Works fine.
Thanks.

@gaaned92,

Thanks for adding it to the Win10 branch.
It is working fine.

ad 2) read Flat-Field - RawPedia (rawtherapee.com)

That’s one way of doing it, though not ideal IMHO. The simple spot removal tool by gaaned92 works as intended and gets the job done.