Local adjustments is in dev

I want to try the new local adjustment tools and downloaded the dev for windows from GitHub. There is zip and an exe. I thought the zip maybe a portable version but quits with liblcms2 missing. Do I need to install the exe?

@sotsoguk Did you download from here? Release Automated Builds · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub
If you install RawTherapee_dev_5.8-2195-g1fedc835a_20200622.exe (the current build) there should be no problems with missing libraries, unless something has broken in the build process…

Actually: ping @Carmelo_DrRaw, you could probably remove the automated build of locallab, since it is now merged into dev.

1 Like

@jdc
Thank you,
On some occasions, enlarging the image, you have to put the spot in the right color with an almost minimal spot and with the mouse it is a little more difficult to handle.

Done, thanks for the heads up!

@arturoisilvia

Now we have expander to hide some settings, I will change this behavior, and allows to use ‘shape method’

Jacques

One thing I would like to see, is tone curves in RGB space that are after Local adjustments in the tool-chain, as if I apply a tone curve wanted for the whole image, and a certain highlight area is to be darkened via local adjustments, then that lowered highlight would look burnt if the tone curve happens before, but if after, then the highlight area would still have punchy specular spots and texture appropriate for now being in the upper midtones. I’ve felt this way about Wavelets, but have usually not been using extreme enough effects using Wavelets for this to be noticeable, but local adjustments are a different beast.

Yes I know I can export as tiff, and then apply tone curve, but that is an inefficient workflow.

@Waveluke

Thank you for testing :slight_smile:

I don’t know if that can satisfy you, but there is “RGB Tone curve” in “Local adjustments”

• add tool to current spot… “Color and Light” , “Expert”, “Curves”, “RGB Tone curve”,
    with 4 modes : standard, weighted standard, Luminance, Film Like

After your work… you can add or duplicate a RT-spot, works or not on “full image” (instead of local) and use “RGB Tone curve”

jacques

And when do you know that you really are finished with local edits? :wink:
I often find new areas where I need to apply adjustments.

Solution: add the possibility to reorder spots via GUI. Preferably drag’n’drop’ping spots in the spot listview, but having dedicated buttons would work, too (if implementing drag’n’drop is too difficult).

I already felt in the past that reordering spots could be helpful, especially when dealing with excluding spots (having the excluding spots directly under the spot it excludes areas from, just for clarity). I thought it was just a cosmetic issue and didn’t want to bother you.
But for the usecase of @Waveluke it really makes sense. Being able to move that spot to the end of the spot list is a requirement for him.

Hi, my two cents - it’s pretty awesome to see significant progress towards local adjustments. It goes to show that you’ve spent a lot of time developing it and put a lot of work into it, so a huge thanks to everyone involved in the project.
Although it’s fun to play with it, I have only one concern — it’s too complex… I know — complexity might be a relative term. One can say, it’s not complex if you know what you’re doing — operating a Boeing 747, for instance, might be a fairly simple task… but only if somebody is experienced.
Wouldn’t it be better if you developed local lab in smaller parts, for example — you may focus only on exposure tab and gui part and make it simple and perfect (like in NIK collection), than move on to another tab? You know: baby steps :wink:
Good luck!

That was my initial reaction when I first started playing around with it but in reality, even with the sliders in their default position in the Settings module, you get better shape detection than with Nik/DxO . The other thing is that you don’t need to familiarize yourself with all the tools to start with. You can carry out a lot of basic retouching tasks with just a few modules such as Exposure, Color & light and Sharpening.

2 Likes

Hello @Wayne_Sutton

That was my initial reaction too but, as with every software, you “only” need to get acquainted with the tools at hand. :slight_smile:

As pointed out by @jdc there is already some refactoring going on to improve the GUIs.
IMHO, it is the only part which needs some love since the algorithms to perform the local adjustments are extremely powerful!

2 Likes

@kazah7 Could you maybe elaborate on your experience? How did you approach the tool, what where your expectations, did you manage to do what you wanted, were the sliders and other elements intuitive, were the tooltips helpful, etc. This could definitely help to improve the GUI.

As @Silvio_Grosso says, the engine is pretty powerful as it is. My personal main concern is also the complexity of the current interface. The biggest challenge is how to expose the engine in a straightforward, accessible way.
@jdc and @Pandagrapher have already been working on that for a long time now. It has come a long way already, but there is certainly room for more. So, any input helps!

4 Likes

Hello @jdc

Just a “crazy” question because I already imagine the correct answer: which is “use the Gimp clone tool”…

However, (just to make sure it is indeed not possible right now…) here is a picture of some cherry fruits where the powerful lamp I use in my studio has completely burned out some reddish pixels on the fruits:

Here is the RAW file (Nikon D850):

To make it short, Is it possible, with the current tools in the Local Adjustments, to restore these pixels completely burned out?
In short, take the red colour from the surrounding pixels to “fill in” them…

At present, personally, with RawTherapee 5.8 I would export the tiff to Gimp and use its clone tool but I am far from being an expert and maybe there is some trick available within the local adjustments toolbox…

No tool can restore completely burned out pixels. You may be able to get a good looking result using Highlight Reconstruction impaint methods. But you will never be able to restore this pixels to the values they would have without over exposure.

@Silvio_Grosso
I confirm what Ingo says, the lights are burned, and as “Local Adjustments” is at the end of the process it is almost impossible to recover completely.

Certainly we can improve this image a little, with “Original retinex”, and with “color and light”…but for the overexposed part, not much to do that is perfect

Actually it is not possible (GUI) to “take the red colour from the surrounding pixels to “fill in” them” :slight_smile:

jacques

Ok, if it’s of any use to you here are my thoughts, and please mind my words – my intention is not to sound harsh by any means. If you take a step back, look at it, and unfold all the options you will notice that it’s very, very rich :slight_smile: For me, it is not about working only with the tools at hand. It’s too cluttered and distracting. Yes, I managed to achieve what I wanted, which was cranking up the exposure on somebody’s face but it wasn’t intuitive. The exposure, when adjusted, worked differently from what I expected (take a look at the picture) and it was clear to me that I had to play with the other sliders in the tab. But which one? There are a plethora of options.

In my opinion, any moves toward simplicity are the right direction. Besides, I love your work and really appreciate it.:slight_smile:

1 Like

From my experience you have to be generous with the size of the shapes. I always tried to minimize the covered area. But that way the shape detection seems to work not as good. So as a first step make the ellipse at least 50% bigger than the area you want to adjust.
Unfortunately ellipse+rectangle+shape detection(+ exclude spots) is all we currently have to mask complicated outlines. I personally find it often easier as it’s done in darktable - pull a polygon around the area, adjust the feathering, in some cases finetune the mask with curves, and be done.
On the other hand I had quite some cases where adding a shape + adjust “scope” immediately found the area I wanted to edit.
But that is nothing new, polygon was mentioned often enough and devs are thinking about how to integrate it.

Beginner user here, so please correct me if I’m wrong or incomplete. But, I think that the thing you need to be aware of most, is that all effects are determined by where you put your center spot. This is the reference point for all modifications you make. E.g. brightness is increased relative to the color in your spot not your area.
If you want a ‘general’ effect you have to set the Scope slider to 100. That makes the entire shape your reference.

1 Like

@kazah7

Difficult to give a good answer without data.
Which settings of “scope color tools” (in settings)
Did you try other algorithms probably - from my point of view - better than “exposure”

For example :

• add tools to current spot : shadows-Highligt - equalizer
  • use Equalizer
  • try sliders 1, 2 or 3

or use TRC

• increase slightly “slope”

to see the change : mask and modifications - show modifications whithout mask

Do you live in Kazakhstan ? a few years ago I had a stay in this country as well as in Kirghisthan

Jacques