Local adjustments is in dev

Yes, you are right, and I know it is the center circle that defines what the algo should look for.
I just tried to find files that showed the issue I described and found nothing.
Seems something was fixed along the line, because in the past I had issues quite often with shape detection. E.g. anything inside the center spot was discarded! enlarging the spot outline usually fixed the issues. So I changed my workflow.
Good to see I’m wrong!

Hello all,

I made some changes to “exposure”
Now you can use all “Tools” sliders, like “hightlight compression” and “shadows” with “exposure compensation” to zero. The same thing for “inverse”. Thanks to @ff2000

I also add a tooltip to explain, if you want to use “exposure” for skin or some images with low color gradient - what I don’t recommend, there are other tools that are definitely more powerful for that “Tone equalizer”, or “TRC” for example -therefore, this tooltip briefly explains how to make exposure more appropriate

• increase Threshold ΔE scope ", for example 7
  • reduce ΔE weakening, for example 0.2
  • set Balance ΔE ab-L to maximum (2.5)
  • adapt Scope if necessary
    These settings are example, you must change them.

I also change the parameters of “Soft radius” (Guided Filter)

Of course, I have not change the algorithm

I modified the documentation to take it into account
https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Local_Adjustments/fr#Cinq_mani.C3.A8res_de_changer_l.27exposition_-_relever_les_ombres
See “Recommandations”

I also added a new tool which I called “common color mask” (“Add tools to current spot…”). This mask is different from others, it does not complete a tool (as “Color and Light”) but acts as a tool himself (no nead for another tools be open - but of course you can…)

You can read the documentation (always in french)
https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Local_Adjustments/fr#Comment_se_servir_de_Common_Color_Mask_-_puis_Exemple_de_combinaison_avec_une_fusion_de_2_RT-Spot

have a lovely day everybody

jacques

2 Likes

No, I have never been to Kazakhstan, although I’ve heard it’s a beautiful country. My nickname is a combination of my surname and second name. Btw thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

The label for the ‘Transition weakening’ slider is not very explicit and doesn’t really reflect the function as described in Rawpedia.
Perhaps something like ‘Transition decay’ would be better? Or if it’s not too long: 'Transition decay (linear-log).

Wayne

@Wayne_Sutton

Many labels and tooltip are written in my bad english, I see only advantages in initiating a debate on these 2 points.

So, for starters, the change to “Transition weakening” obviously suits me, and if no one objects I would change this label tomorrow morning

jacques

thank you

don’t worry @jdc most of the labels are quite clear, it’s just this one that doesn’t really fit with the functional description :slight_smile:

Wayne

1 Like

Of course, I will change this label, and all texts in tooltips, history…replacing “transition weakening” by “transition decay”

jacques

2 Likes

@jdc presumably replacing ‘weakening’ with ‘decay’ would also be valid for ‘dE weakening’ in Shape detection? (I can’t check with the description in Rawpedia as is it unavailable for the moment)

@Wayne_Sutton

Ok, no problem to replace all weakenings…

jacques

So that means that both the ‘Transition weakening’ and the ‘dE weakening’ sliders adjust the rate of decay?

Excuse me, but I don’t understand the term “decay”… for me it’s chinese…
But no importance, my english is so bad…;
Ah si tout le monde parlait français :slight_smile:

:grin:

The closest meaning of decay in this context would be ‘affaiblir’

Salut @jdc,

Being an ignorant foreigner™, I am not too happy with the word decay. It has too many negative connotations.

Please: what French word is it that you would prefer in this context?

Cordialement,
Claes en Lund, La Suède

1 Like

the french word is “affaiblissement”

jacques

Trait d’humour…je vais mettre tous les labels et tooltip de la version “english” en français…

Do you know that a few centuries ago…in England and in Russia, the official language was French :slight_smile:

2 Likes

reduce
reduce effect
reduce intensity
weaken
decrease
dim
lessen

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Another foreigner here, with another opinion. In terms of signal processing ‘decay’ is a pretty common term. If that is what the slider does, it should be labeled as such. Nothing personal @Claes but I wouldn’t like any of your alternatives :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Talking about labels: is anybody aware of this?:

dnrf

Shouldn’t the DRCf label show only inside the local adjustments tool?

@jdc
What is the intention,
do you weaken the effect, or
do you make the effect “disappear faster”?

En français, les deux mon général :slight_smile:

But it is the second “disappear faster” which is close to what it does

jacques