Local Lab build

True, it’s not as flexible, but in some cases such as the example @DxO-user mentioned it’s enough:

Here is the RAW file.

I have tried in RT , Local Lab - but can’t get the same result as in Lightroom

Here is a screenshot of my Local Lab
2019-04-11_022038
I guess I must be doing something wrong.

Is the image above the result of your local lab RT edit, of that of Lightroom?

Lightroom.

In principle, all locallab modules are designed to make gradients.

It’s the basis of the initial design, whether for luminance, saturation, retinex, etc.
3 main features make it possible to make gradients : a) asymmetry of the limits of the spot, b) transition, c) deltaE,

If we limit ourselves to the luminance gradient, there are 3 modules that allow us to simulate it : Color and Light, Exposure and Shadows Highlight - the best - for me - when you have big luminance variations especially in the shadows

a) if you use an assymetric spot, with the center in a corner, and H different from W, the need of rotation is not evident - but of course it will be better
b) transition, with recent “transition weakeness” allow important gradients
c) deltaE - which is the base of locallab will allow the color gradients

I have not - Lightroom. I’m not saying it’s a bad product - it’s the most sold… Rawtherapee is free, and as says @heckflosse Ingo some days ago, the number of developpers is not the same…

But I return the question, what does Rawthrapee do that Lightroom does not know how to do?

Of course there are improvements to be made - first of all let’s make sure that the code is optimized, that there are no crashes, no memory leaks…
Check that all features - and they are numerous - work as they were originally designed

Then nothing forbids to add functionality, as for example others spot delimiter than “Elipse” and “Rectangle”, for the most part it’s a GUI problem (mouse)
Etc.

jacques

As the discussion started about a more flexible graduated filter, here are some thoughts…correct me if I am wrong:
(I am am supposing the scope is set to max, so that the selection is based on the geometry and not on the selection algo)

1. The regions in RT-LL have a gradient which is always max at the center and min at the border, right?
  2. If 1 is correct then it would be cool if the gradient could go from one side of the selected area to the other. Add to this the rotational capabilities @heckflosse is talking about and you would have a very flexible gradient filter.
  3. Once 2 works you could add a color to the filter (kind of like a color gradient in overlay mode in Gimp) and get even more flexible.

@McCap
In fact, the gradient take into account the center, whether it is a maximum or a minimum

If you use “Shadows hightlight”, if works well, if the spot is in shadows, and you want to create a gradient “more light”

But, always the center is “major”

Having at least two graduated filters would be usefull .
See post 412: Local Lab build - #412 by alb1x3

I know there are only few developers at Github , but if I could choose, I would go all in for developing the Elipse + Gradient Tool, and simple leave the rectangle alone.

Elipse and Gradient Tool would be a very powerful combination …:grinning::grinning:

LocalLab build just got a good speedup for blur spots.
For reference

2 Likes

Useful for pictures of leopards that don’t want to be identified…

:-1:

@heckflosse Sorry if this was taken the wrong way. It wasn’t meant to detract from the excellent efforts of the developers. Hopefully it is clear how much I appreciate their efforts in my other posts. It was just a (rather bad) joke that occurred to me at the time, so I decided to share it. Happy to delete the post if you think it detracts from the content of the forum.

Hi I am trying to build locallab for ubuntu.
I am following instructions for generally building RawTherapee but I change the build script to checkout the branch “newlocallab”. When building I got an error.
Any adivce would be appreicated.

[ 81%] Building CXX object rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/previewmodepanel.cc.o
[ 82%] Building CXX object rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/previewwindow.cc.o
/root/programs/code-rawtherapee/rtgui/preferences.cc: In member function ‘Gtk::Widget* Preferences::getGeneralPanel()’:
/root/programs/code-rawtherapee/rtgui/preferences.cc:963:54: error: no matching function for call to ‘Gtk::Grid::attach(Gtk::CheckButton&, int, int)’
workflowGrid->attach(*ckbshowtooltiplocallab,0, 3);
^
In file included from /usr/include/gtkmm-3.0/gtkmm.h:178:0,
from /root/programs/code-rawtherapee/rtgui/preferences.h:22,
from /root/programs/code-rawtherapee/rtgui/preferences.cc:20:
/usr/include/gtkmm-3.0/gtkmm/grid.h:148:8: note: candidate: void Gtk::Grid::attach(Gtk::Widget&, int, int, int, int)
void attach(Widget& child, int left, int top, int width, int height);
^~~~~~
/usr/include/gtkmm-3.0/gtkmm/grid.h:148:8: note: candidate expects 5 arguments, 3 provided
[ 82%] Building CXX object rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/profilepanel.cc.o
rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/build.make:2342: recipe for target ‘rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/preferences.cc.o’ failed
make[2]: *** [rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/preferences.cc.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:276: recipe for target ‘rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/all’ failed
make[1]: *** [rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:129: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
The command ‘/bin/sh -c ./build-rawtherapee’ returned a non-zero code: 1

@Jonny How to write useful bug reports - RawPedia

1. Make a clean compile, i.e. delete your build folder.
  2. Show your full build log, including cmake.
  3. Missing info:
    1. Which commit are you on? git describe
    2. Which version of GTK+?
    3. Which version of GCC?
    4. Which OS?
  4. Format your code as code, using triple-backticks (“fenced code block”), to make it easier to read. Markdown Cheat Sheet | Markdown Guide

Is this even the right place to make a bug report for locallab? Should I make an issue on github?

Also are there instructions for how to build locallab specifically as opposed to the main dev branch?

We can continue here for now, as we don’t know what we’re dealing with due to the missing info.

There are no idiosyncrasies for building newlocallab as opposed to dev.

OK here are more details.
I am attempting build a docker image so I can run local lab in a docker container. Partly to avoid installing all the stuff to build rawtherappee in my normal environment.
The docker stuff is pretty irrelevant to the problem I think, other then it means the build is completely fresh everytime.

It is building on Ubuntu 18.04
gtk version: libgtk-3-common all 3.22.30-1ubuntu2
gcc: amd64 4:7.3.0-3ubuntu2.1

If I use the default branch that build-rawtherapee uses then the build works perfectly.

I execute this to build it

apt-get clean cache
apt-get update
apt-get install -y sed wget build-essential cmake curl git libcanberra-gtk3-dev libexiv2-dev libexpat-dev libfftw3-dev libglibmm-2.4-dev libgtk-3-dev libgtkmm-3.0-dev libiptcdata0-dev libjpeg-dev liblcms2-dev liblensfun-dev libpng-dev librsvg2-dev libsigc++-2.0-dev libtiff5-dev zlib1g-dev

cd ~
RUN wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/dev/tools/build-rawtherapee -O build-rawtherapee
sed -i '/^.*git clone.*/a    cd /root/programs/code-rawtherapee || exit 1; git checkout newlocallab || exit 1 ; cd / || exit 1' build-rawtherapee
chmod +x build-rawtherapee
./build-rawtherapee

I have attached the output I get from docker build.build_output.txt (195.8 KB)

@Jonny Will be fixed soon

Edit: Should work now with this fix