Long shadows in the evening

Editing other pictures in Play Raw is a lot of fun. But sometimes one have to give back. So here is a Play Raw from me. Let’s see how you edit this shot. Especially interested in seeing different crops or maybe not.

IMG_4328.CR3 (41.1 MB)
IMG_4328_01.CR3.xmp (19.9 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

21 Likes

(feeling playful): whatever crop the farmer has sown is there for now; I am unable to uproot and replant his field remotely. :wink:

2 Likes

Ask and you shall receive!

The 2:1 crop ( :wink: ) does tend to emphasize compositionally the long shadows more, together with the lines in the low clouds at left. I was unable to get the colour/tonality like yours in my brief play.

IMG_4328.CR3.xmp (9.3 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks for this Play!
I cropped to 16:9 and used a LUT named Canon Footage

IMG_4328_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (19.5 KB)

7 Likes

Cropping such a beautiful and elegant picture felt a bit wrong… But, since we’re playing, and that was a part of the task :stuck_out_tongue: I allowed myself to get a little more artistic.

long-shadows-in-the-evening.jpg.out.arp (11.2 KB)

Thank you for the practice!

3 Likes

dt 4.6. I wish I had more drama in the clouds, but I didn’t want to get too wild. I love @Popanz 's edit.

I chose the Golden section crop.

IMG_4328.CR3.xmp (7.6 KB)

2 Likes

I’m opting for a different crop.

IMG_4328.CR3.xmp (26.3 KB)

6 Likes

Nice image! I ended up very similar to @Popanz’s original edit, albeit not quite as moody. But I tried to “spotlight” the trees, give them some volume and make the most of the drama inherent in the scene.

ART 1.21.1

IMG_4328.CR3.arp (27.1 KB)

7 Likes

great shot!

IMG_4328.CR3.xmp (71.2 KB)

4 Likes

A Play with the language is as well welcome. Hopefully improving the language abilities of non native speakers like me. :yum:
Changing the planting should be by the way possible as well. But it’s a not so easy job and more a Play with GIMP than a Play Raw.

long-shadows-IMG_4328.CR3.xmp (24.7 KB)
dt master

4 Likes

Came out kinda similar to the OP version, anyways - nice play, thank you!

IMG_4328.CR3.xmp (43.3 KB)

7 Likes

GIMP.
Increases in contrast to emphasise the shadows and the dramatic sky. Slight crop to make it more landscape, but I didn’t want to lose too much of the sky.

3 Likes

My version…

IMG_4328.CR3.xmp (22.2 KB)

5 Likes

IMG_4328.CR3.xmp (15.5 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks for posting the image.

IMG_4328.CR3.xmp (13.1 KB)

3 Likes

IMG_4328.CR3.xmp (14.1 KB)

3 Likes

Another version…

IMG_4328_01.CR3.xmp (17.2 KB)

6 Likes

@dqpcoxeas That came unexpected. This works astonishing well.
All in all there are few crops which I haven’t tried. Most of you confirmed my choice. Anyway there were really nice and interesting edits, from which I could learn some things. Besides the already mentioned version of dqpcoxeas. I would like to highlight @qmpel 's version which taught me i could have treated my trees more carefully. They look quite harsh against your edit. And I would like to highlight @Soupy with his version as well. I really like the panorama format and i was quite impressed, that B/W works as well. I haven’t even thought about B/W.

3 Likes

Perspective shift and crop with RT 5.10-rc1

IMG_4328.CR3.pp3 (15.7 KB)

4 Likes