Looking for Name Ideas

Hm… It has to be unique (as a search term) but meaningful.

1. [JumpShot]
  • [TrickShot]
  • [Run&Gun]
  • [OutShoot]
  • [OutPlay]
  • [PlayCam]
  • [PlayTest]
  • [Stop&Play]
  • [pixlsPlay]
  • [pxPlay]
  • [pxChallenge]

Inspiration
1-3 use sports terms to evoke spectacle, motion and creativity.
4-5 use the out from outdoors and outdo to evoke adventure, challenge and competition.
5-7 use play to associate it with PlayRaw to evoke fun and experimentation.

Edit: More punny goodness.
8 references to PlayRaw, a stop of exposure or a stop bath.
9-10 refers to PlayRaw and the website’s name.
11 another take on @paynekj’s suggestion.

1 Like

Since, like in PlayRaw, I expect a hint of competition, could we call that a shoot-off?

1 Like

I suggest something a bit different! - [GOATSTINK]
This stands for Go Out And Take Some Top Images Nifty Kindred.
yes.

2 Likes

@patdavid I have some ideas that may or may not be good.

Idea #1
People tend to share shots that are well-composed with a well-placed and isolated subject. What if there was a challenge where we take an obscure or unusual shot of a subject and have people guess what or where it is? It might be lots of fun because the world is such a big place with endless possibilities.

Of course, there would have to be rules so that people play fair; e.g., no machine learning or digital forensics allowed. There is also the problem of someone making a good guess right away.

Idea #2
PlayRaw titles are often captions in and of themselves. How about a caption contest where someone posts a photo or series of photos for people to caption? This might need some moderation if the captions get out of hand but I think this community can manage to be civil.

Idea #3
Opposite of Idea #2: reverse caption contest. Someone provides the caption and people take photos that in their opinion capture the spirit of the caption.

Edit: Idea #4
@Ofnuts’s profile picture is a USB connector that also looks like a face. How about challenges where people take photos of things that resemble something else, like a face. I had loads of fun doing that as a teenager.

@RawConvert I almost shared an acronym as well in my first post, but it wasn’t as creative as yours :stuck_out_tongue:. You should rename your username to GOATSTINK. I dare you :rofl:.

1 Like

I suggest something a bit different! - [GOATSTINK]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::sweat_smile::grin: absolutelly brilliant!!! Maybe with an “Y”

GOATSINK :goat::8ball: GOATSYNK :goat::desert_island: GOATSYNC :goat::checkered_flag: GOATZILL(a) :goat::camera::avocado::t_rex:

1 Like

A play on @paperdigits ideas:

[Pixls Photo Quest]
[Frame It!]

Also

[PhotoTask]

PS
not very inspired atm :stuck_out_tongue:

I would simply call it [photography]

How about [PlayLight]?

You could call it [DPChallenge], because that’s what you’re describing: http://www.dpchallenge.com/

1 Like

That definitely sounds NSFW. :smiley:

4 Likes

Pretty close, if we implemented voting.

No more NSFW than :smiley:.

If I were to use the word challenge, I would name it [pxChallenge]. Adding it to my growing list of suggestions above.

1 Like

I love the ideas so far, keep them coming. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t really thinking of a “contest” personally - more of a fun way to consider expanding how we look at photography and maybe challenging ourselves (thematically, composition, etc).

This absolutely doesn’t preclude you nerds from posting challenges and even setting up polls to vote… :wink:

For years at elysiun.com (now blenderartists.org) they have been holding Weekend Challenges, with the winner each round picking the theme from the next. I have been holding off on doing something like this until we had enough members to support something like this and make it fun - if someone thinks it might be fun to do I fully support it.

What do y’all (southern patois, sorry) think? Should we also start up a monthly or weekly challenge?

I think it’d need to be monthly to get enough participants and good results!

1 Like

:+1: Contests are very subjective.

1 Like

What about: photography talks ?

Nothing will top GOATSTINK but I tried anyway

• Shutter Clutter
  • Photon Phever
  • Crack Behind the Lens
  • A Click in Time
  • Game of Zones
  • Shooters Keepers
  • 18 Cents’ Worth
  • Focus Coaxus
  • Unsharp Masquerade
3 Likes

[GoShoot]

1 Like

Vimeo Weekend Challenge is pretty cool as well… maybe we can create and give badges to the winners as prizes.

1 Like
  • Focus Coaxus

May I suggest Focus Paucus? From latin Paucus: not many, This pretty much describes the high rejection rate in my culling process :slight_smile:

3 Likes