Lua script manager disappeared darktable

My script manager has disappeared. Previously I activated the lua script that allows me to save exports to collection. This is still working in the preset I have created. I also previously activated the lua script that allowed me to rename images. This is no longer available and I can not see my lua script manager in lighttable view, despite it being there very recently. Windows 11 V4.5.0 +912

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do you still have a Luarc file with this line??

require ‘tools/script_manager’

Yes Todd, I did still have that luarc file.

In a terminal go to %LOCALAPPDATA\darktable\lua and do a git pull

1 Like

Using the search facility would also be useful. These were posted within the last week:

I have an interesting (well interesting to me at least) observation about this issue of the missing script manager. I have the latest weekly build for windows 4.5.0 +1030 installed. If I find an image in my windows explorer and request it to be opened in darktable then darktable opens without the script manager appearing and a couple of lua scripts which I am using including the renaming option and the ability to save exports to collections are missing. However, if I were to open darktable via the icon on my taskbar it opens with the script manager visible and the lua scripts I am using activated. While I don’t understand this strange behaviour at least now I seem to have a work around for my disappearing lua script. I wonder if anyone else can replicate this issue?

I assume the shortcut in your task bar is launch with some parameters or env cars set that explorer does not.

When you open an image from windows explorer, you open in darkroom mode. script_manager only appears in lighttable mode. If you click on lighttable from the menu on the top right, when you return to lighttable script_manager is there

1 Like

Hi Bill,
this is definitely not happening in my case. But if I have the only computer with this problem at least I now know the workaround.

I reread your message and now I understand.

Here’s what’s happening…

When script_manager starts it checks to see if the UI is in darkroom or lighttable. If darktable is in darkroom mode, then script_manager waits until darktable goes back to lighttable mode. This is done because script_manager adds a module to the lighttable UI. If you try and do that from darkroom mode then darktable crashes. script_manager keeps track of what modules to start. Since script_manager wont start until darktable is in lighttable mode, none of the other scripts will start. Even if they did start, the ones you use create modules in the lighttable UI, so they check and wont run until darktable is back in lighttable mode.

When I tested I right clicked on an image and selected darktable from the open with menu. It opened the image in darkroom mode. When I changed back to lighttable mode script_manager appeared.

I happen to have the same or almost the same bug. I’ve got Darktable installed on my Windows 11 desktop pc and, until a few weeks ago the script_manager module appeared. Then it doesn’t appear any more. I’ve tried reinstalling git and rewriting the luarc file, but nothing seems to work. I installed git and configure de luarc file on my laptop and the script_manager module disappeared.
I’ve tried the git pull thing but it doesn’t fix anything.
Also, the names in the path don’t seem to have spaces, which is something I read that could cause problems.
I’ve run darktable from terminal and check the log file and this is the output:
3.0370 LUA ERROR : C:\Users\juang\AppData\Local\darktable\luarc:1: unexpected symbol near ‘<\255>’
So, I guess the error has something to do with the luarc file.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Can you share the luarc file (with a .txt extension)?

luarc.txt (62 Bytes)

I’ve attached the file, but I think I’ve managed to fix the error, apparently there was a line break. Now I don’t get any error message in the log file, but the script_manager module refuses to appear.

OK, and do you see any errors when you run darktable with -d lua ?

I recently also had the problem that the ScriptManager was not visible. The cause was a Lua script copied directly into the lua directory by mistake.

Sorry for the late answer. It doesn’t work anyway. I’ve tried with a clean installation on my laptop, where there was no previous git/lua installation and I still can’t see the script_manager module. So I guess this must be something related to Windows?

I assume this one does not apply to your case: LUA script manager not shown in DT - #14 by wpferguson

look in the darktablerc file for the line

plugins/lighttable/1/script_manager_visible=TRUE

If it’s set to false, then script_manager will run, but wont appear in the GUI.

1 Like

I’ve just checked and script_manager_visible is already set to TRUE.
There are no errors in the darktable-log.txt file.
imagen_2023-12-06_114725871
Captura de pantalla 2023-12-06 114701