Lucky imaging with Siril

Oh, you take a video?
That changes everything.

Convert the video to a SER file then.

That does not change the problem being reported, that he cannot see the quality in the registration data.

Want to see if it is a AVI issue.

No. I was only replying to your claim that a DSLR does not shoot faster than 50ms: basically any modern DSLR does, both in still and video.

Now I have stills, and only 1 bad quality MOV that is not suitable for anything useful (awful wind). But next time I can try.

Thanks!

If you think it is worth it, I can run a script and post the script here. Maybe that would eliminate some misunderstandings…? The problem is that I cannot set in a script “Image pattern Alignment” as registration method.

So no, you don’t understand.
It is not luck imaging because you cannot have fps at 50ms by only taking picture. Between each pictures, how many time the DSLR is waiting?

Camera for Lucky imaging are: ASI 290MM-Cool (mono) – ZWO ASI

This is when the frame rate can beat the seeing.

And to come back to your issue. I don’t understand why you see anything. Just tested it works.
If the algorithm fail to align you should see only 0.
-1 means no calculation.

I can stack the thing without any problem, as long as I select “all” in the drop down menu in the stacking tab. If I switch to “quality”, the big blue “Start stacking” button becomes gray and unclickable.

I assume that this is because no Quality was computed. In fact, clicking “Open Frame List” in the Sequence tab gives me the list of images, with different XY shifts in the G channel, -1 in the others, and “N/A” as quality for the 3 channels.

Plot tab is completely empty.

I see -1 in the R and B channels for all images (but -1 could also mean “shift 1 pixel up/left”, this is why I wrote that it is a bit misleading. Same for 0, but I don’t see 0’s).

Just to be more clear, these are the exact commands I gave (via script) to build everything before registering (no bias, no flats):

cd darks
  convertraw dark_
  stack dark_ rej 3.2 3.3 -nonorm
  cd ../lights
  convertraw light_
  preprocess light_ -dark=../darks/dark_stacked -cfa -debayer -stretch

Then, I just aligned the sequence pp_light with “Image pattern alignment” method, registration layer GREEN.

The result is no quality info.

Maybe I did something wrong in the script?

I did the whole thing by hand instead of using the above script, and now I can see the quality in the G channel, and I can select quality in the drop down menu.

I can also add Normalization in stacking without getting errors.

That means that the above script does (or doesn’t do?) something that it shouldn’t.
Yet, my script is an extract of Siril bundled scripts…
Unfortunately, the Console does not show the actual commands that siril performs.

Yes because you don’t have any quality value.

How do you exactly do?

Yep.

• Select the pp_light sequence in the Sequence tab.
  • Go to the registration tab, select “Image pattern alignment”, select big enough region (about 20x the area of the planet with the planet in the center) in the Green channel of the image, press “Go register”. The option “Register all images from sequence” is activated.

When Siril ends, no quality is computed, and Plot tab is empty.

There should be something wrong in the above script. Maybe layers should be debayered at conversion time?? This is the big difference when done manually.

Your images must be debayerd before alignment. That’s all. If no dark bias flat, yes do it at conversion time.

Yes, that was it. This script works now:

cd darks
convertraw dark_ -debayer
stack dark_ rej 3.2 3.3 -nonorm
cd ../lights
convertraw light_ -debayer
preprocess light_ -dark=../darks/dark_stacked -cfa -stretch

Quality is computed, and I can filter by quality now.

Yet, there’s something strange: the Plot window is still empty. Maybe it’s because I processed only 9 images?

I don’t understand why the debayer should be made at the conversion stage. Quality computation should also work then. If not, I think Siril bundled scripts should be fixed to avoid this issue, making the debayering at the convert stage.

Yet, there is some strange error message. When I select the quality, I get an error message:

The reference image is not in the selected set of images. To avoid issues, please change it or change the filtering parameters.

This does not make sense to me since the quality is always smaller than 1.000, which is the quality of the reference image.

No. This is done at conversion stage only when no darks, flat and biases. Scripts in bundle work.

Did you update the ref image? I mean, did you choose your ref image?

I used darks, so how should I proceed then? If I don’t debayer at conversion stage, then no quality.

Scrips in bundle work because there is no quality selection. If you want to modify the script to add quality, then debayer should be done at conversion stage.

No?

No. I think you are doing wrong something.
You need to debayer after the preprocessing stage. Then, at this step you do the alignment and the quality thing. I do it right now. It works.

Ooops… I thought this was done by Siril, since the console says: “Best frame: #139”.

It took me a lot to find how to select the reference image (in Open Frame list). Since this has to be done after registration, should the registration be recomputed afterwards? Or this is what the “Recompute” option in the Stacking tab is for?

Is this reference image choice important, anyway?