Lucky imaging with Siril

This is precisely what my original script did, and no quality is computed.
The second script, where debayer is applied at the conversion step, quality is computed. In fact, according to the PREPROCESS Siril command manual:

[…] also to demosaic images at the end of the process with “-debayer”.

Hence my original script debayered after the preprocessing and before registering.

I tried also the manual method:

• With the “Debayer” in the conversion tab unchecked and the “Debayer before saving” in the Pre-processing tab checked, no quality is computed after registration, and I cannot select quality.

• With the “Debayer” in the conversion tab checked and the “Debayer before saving” in the Pre-processing tab unchecked, quality is computed correctly after registration, and I can select quality.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong… :frowning:

I was unable to find a way to do this. Siril manual gives some info on SER files here, and it even claims:

Siril can convert any image sequence and many film formats into SER files.

Yet, it does not say how. Here, it seems to imply that the AVI files can be imported in the Image Sequence tab. However, at least in version 0.99.4, I don’t see a way to import the AVI. The Open button does not show AVI, MOV, or MP4 as “Supported files”.

Ffmpeg cannot convert to SER (first time I see some format not supported by ffmpeg).

Thanks!

I believe that on Windows, for 0.99.4, we forgot to compile with ffms2.
But you can do it with PIPP this time: PIPP Planetary Imaging PreProcessor

I use Linux.

Which package?

Siril’s package is siril-0.99.4-1.fc32.x86_64 in Fedora 32.
The RPM signature says:

This version is built without ffmpeg support due to Fedora software guidelines.

OK. So fedora, due to their license policy do not compile with ffms2. So you can’t open AVI films.

I do have ffmpeg, it doesn’t support SER.

How would you convert avi/mp4/mov/jpg into SER in Linux?

A way I see is to compile ffms2 on your own and rebuild siril once it’s installed.

1 Like

ffms2-devel is in my repositories already, I just didn’t have it installed (nor siril sources asked for it as a dependency). I will recompile siril.

Perfect. I installed ffms2-devel, recompiled siril from sources, and now I can read MOV files, convert to SER, register, etc.

Thanks!