Marking in-progress vs completed collections

As an amateur photographer, I often have several rolls going at a time and then go back to them in semi random order (hopefully doing the timely photos first).
When you’re done with a set is there any way to mark it “complete” in the collections view so that you can filter for unfinished sets to work with?
I could move them on the filesystem to a new folder but then they disappear from the database unless I re import them.

I use the colors. Green = finished, Yellow = Needs Edits, No tag = not evaluated, Blue = Culling complete

2 Likes

I use a similar system to @g-man but you could also add a tag at import, then change the tag when you’re done

I assume you’re talking about tagging at the level of the collection rather than the individual images. I admit this would be something I’d find useful as well, as I tend to process shoots a folder at a time. Unfortunately this is not currently possible.

At the moment I maintain a separate document with a list of my folders and mark them as complete in there. Not a perfect solution but it works for me.

2 Likes

I have separate libraries for ‘working’ and ‘finished’ sets, just remove the folder from the working library when I finish and import it in the other.

1 Like

Yes I considered this but I sync my images to a NAS device with regular snapshot backups. This means that moving my images about once complete would increase the storage devoted to those backups, so I try to avoid it.

1 Like

I just tested an idea of selecting all the images in a folder and then using the move feature to move them to a new folder I created. This folder could be in the same location on the computer but given just a slightly different name to indicated that have been edited. Could be as simple as the original folders name with one extra character.

Is there no deduplicating backup available, one that uses e.g. a hash to identify moved files?

Not that I’m aware of. I have a solution anyway so haven’t felt the need to investigate deeply

1 Like

Fair point, my backup system (BackupPC) has deduplication so that’s not a problem for me. In any case it’s not needed to move the folder once completed, just remove it from one library and import it into the other in the same place. That may be a problem if the ‘finished’ library ever gets corrupted, so an extra step of tagging finished images as such may be worth.

I can’t bring myself to remove and re-import thousands of images when the collections interface is the ‘right’ place for this to happen intuitively. If I had any global suggestion for an actual change that I think would work for most people it would be to add the colour-code tagging system to film rolls themselves and let people use that as they wish. Green for a casual shoot, blue for professional, or red for needs review, etc.

In the collection module, have you tried to enter a first condition to select only “unfinished images” (or to exclude “finished images”)? For exemple with color labels like in g-man’s exemple.

Then the second entry, on rolls, should only display the list of unfinished rolls (i.e. containing unfinished images).

1 Like

This might work, if I finish work on a set and do a select all then mark green or whatever for done, and exclude those from the filter. I’ll give it a try see how it works.
I would have to remember to change my selection in the ratings first since by the time I’m exporting, I’ve got it set to 3* or higher, and that means none of the lower ranked images would get colour-marked.