Masked portions different in preview and export

Hi all,

My first post here. There have been discussions previously on this forum about difference between the darktable output and the export. Some have related it to the haze removal module.

I have a slightly different issue. I am editing jpgs straight out of my bridge cam. These are mainly bird photos and at times I need to create a mask to do focussed postprocessing on the subject. But I am finding that the exported output differs from the one in the DT preview. And the difference is probably around specific edits I have made on the masked portions. I am wondering if there is something I am missing about settings. I have read and tried all the variations that are suggested on this forum and on github, to no avail. Veteran DT users, please help!

Here are attached two images:

1. Screenshot of how it appears on my laptop
  2. Exported JPG
  3. Screenshot of the exported JPG opened in DT with a snapshot overlay of the original JPG
  4. xmp file.

Exported JPG

xmp
P1030322_edited.jpg.xmp (2.5 KB)

SS with overlay

SS of preview

As you can see, I have sharpened the bird in editing which has revealed details of feathers but the exported file seems to not have these details (or edits). This has become quite frustrating, especially for a newbie like me. Please help!

Regards,
Ankur

Welcome

How does it look when you zoom in darktable to 100%? Per the manual:

These two steps can be performed on the zoomed-out image. Remember that, while great care has been taken to make the algorithm’s visual result fairly scale-invariant, the preview will be exact only when zoomed 1:1. In any case, anything happening at pixel level (radius < 2px) will not be visible for zoom levels lower than 50%.

https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/4.2/en/module-reference/processing-modules/diffuse/#starting-from-scratch

Thanks for the tip. I zoom in and to my eyes, the DT version appears a tad bit more vibrant. Here’s the SS.

Are you exporting full size? If not, the export setting “high quality resampling” can affect the final result.

I haven’t paid attention to this. What should this setting be? I am exporting at 0.9999 because that was one of the workarounds that was suggested. I am happy exporting at 1 or even down to 0.5 for that matter.

Taken form the manual (darktable 4.0 user manual - export):

high quality resampling
Set this to ‘yes’ to perform high quality resampling on the image. The image will be processed in full resolution and only downscaled at the very end. This can sometimes result in better quality, but will always be slower.

I tried this and the difference between the preview and export is still there.

I took your screenshot, opened in GIMP, cut the output, moved over the preview and toggled them.

There is no difference except for pixel level positioning which seems the be the result of the minimal output scaling you do.

As far as I can see from here, there is no problem.

My prediction would be that the contrast changes in the image and between the different grey values of the frames are fooling your brain.

Also, make sure that the external image viewer is color managed, and that both it and datktable are picking up the right profile.

In any case, I also see practically no difference in your screenshot, even without cropping it.

1 Like

One test you can do to eliminate differences due to colour management and viewing environment is to import the exported jpg/tif back into darktable. Then open the raw, take a snapshot, open the jpg and compare. You will probably run into trouble if the two are off different dimensions (e.g. you exported at a reduced resolution). You can still switch back-and-forth between the two, or take screenshots of both and align them in Gimp.

It is, of course, impossible to export most photos without some sort of gamut conversion/compression/clipping, since sRGB can only represent a fraction of the Rec2020 space typically used as the working space.

Hi Istvan and Guillermo,

Thanks! I did import the exported image back into DT; the result is shown in my first post with the screenshot. There is indeed a difference.

Can you help me profile settings: I am using a MacBook Air. My monitor is set at “Color LCD”. I was using Preview, which I can set at the same profile. What do I need to set in DT?

Regards,
Ankur

Well scaling is not the culprit. Here’s the file exported at 1 scaling. Still looks washed out and lacking in detail compared to the preview.

I think I get it now, what you are talking about.
Probably that intermission with the two details got me distracted.

Can you show us a screenshot of your export settings?

OP seems to be using a Mac —
didn’t we have a somewhat similar
McDiff question some days ago…?

Here are my export settings. Thanks for taking the pains to go through this with me. Also relieved to know that I dont need new glasses :grin:

Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 6.27.12 PM

I am new here. Please point me to the relevant question.

I know, Ankur :slight_smile:

It was this thread I was thinking about: Colour and exp discr; Mac: diff jpg and RT view -- why? [Solved]

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I see that you selected the export profile as sRGB. What is your Output Color Profile set to ?

Here’s the output color profile. As far as I can tell, they are consistent.

Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 7.17.25 PM

Hi @Claes, this thread is about RawTherapee. I am using Darktable. And it seems like it was solved by an update to RT.