My personal darktable theme.

I don’t think the individual elements are documented as such anywhere. In the css there are comments and those familiar will likely read it very easily but the best I could do was scan it and make some changes and see what the result was… the core stuff is defined in darktable.css and the rest are modifications…

You can enter any modifications in the preferences css window…

For example here are some I have to tweak the histogram

the css file in windows is in the program files directory see below…likely something similar for linux

2 Likes

Hi.

I’m glad you liked the theme.
As Todd said it is quite difficult to select by elements, they are not defined that way. The changes I made to the .css is more like trial and error.
There are some that are easier than others, like changing font families but there are others that can’t be changed.

By instance in my last version I changed to DIN-light some buttons of the UI and to Square721 BT the side panels and modules.

For my it looks better.

2 Likes

@priort @difrkaguilar

Very interesting, thank you both, i’m curious if I can find something there in the near future

1 Like

Hi all,

I have made an update to my personal darktable theme, some subtle changes to the colors with respect to the previous theme, the border radius of some buttons. The background color of the scopes (histogram, vectorscope and waveform) is no longer black, but a #141414 gray.

The most important change is that I replaced the previous font with the Inter font (OTF) because the readability it offers is excellent. I made this decision after seeing the typography as a fundamental part of the UI of Blender 4.0 that has just been released.

Here is the link to the typeface for those interested in using the theme. The typography is downloaded and installed in the locations determined according to the operating system.

Inter typography.

To install the theme, unzip the user.zip and copy/paste the content of the user.css file in the darktable configuration window (general tab).

My personal theme.
user.zip (4.9 KB)

Here is an example of how the typography behaves in terms of readability in both lighttable and darkroom.

lighttable.

darkroom.

Greetings from Havana, Cuba.

16 Likes

Thank you, @difrkaguilar!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Thanks for your time and effort. I’m going to give it a try. It looks like it will be a big help for these tired old eyes!

1 Like

Thank you very much.

The dark theme customized to my taste has given me rest to my eyes, a big thanks to the developers, who have created this excellent program, and who have provided a guide to follow regarding the predefined UI theme providing the necessary information about the risks of not working with the predefined theme, the negative effect in terms of optical illusion and still offer the ability to customize the UI even if you do not follow the guidelines.

Really for lack of the necessary knowledge in terms of programming and .css I can’t go further.

1 Like

Inter is a fantastic font, I always swap all my DE’s fonts for it, good choice.

2 Likes

Thank you! This has opened my eyes a bit regarding what customization is possible in darktable. And agree with @hatsnp that Inter is a good choice for a font. I’ll also try Lato to see how that looks, as I like that font too, even though I suspect Inter looks better in the UI.

5 Likes

Same here. First thing I do. Love this theme too!

2 Likes