My take on RawTherapee

This time it compiled just fine. I can’t wait to take it for a spin.

One more thing, if you please. How do I pin the icon to my dock? How do I make the app searchable?

Here’s a screenshot showing the use of parametric masks: although I took this image with a long exposure (40 sec) with the intent to get a smooth sea surface, the result was not smooth enough to my liking.
Using ART, I placed a rectangular mask over the sea including the foreground sand, and add a second mask in subtraction mode. I turned “Smoothing” on for the first mask, tweaked the L curve to unselect the tree leaves, and voila!

Left is with smoothing on, right is original. Below, with “View mask”:

3 Likes

I’m a bit more excited than I’d like to admit.

@heckflosse Thanks for the tip. I made preliminary test with jemalloc on RT.
I did not made precise time measures, but effectively the gain is not really noticeable on my use cases.

Perhaps with very big images, huge image directories and complex processing, it can bring some improvement.
I will continue test on ART.

@agriggio
I made some trials with your local editing with nice results.

I have some questions:

• Why not define first the mask and then apply the different editing tools on the selected region?
  • What is the reason why “brightness, contrast, saturation” is not present in the local edition tools? Perhaps I missed the way to do that in the local editing.

Hi,

I like to keep things modular, especially since the tools are applied at different points in the pipeline, so it makes more sense (to me) to define the mask specifically for each of them.

saturation is there. Brightness and contrast are defined differently (and in some cases vaguely) depending on whether you are operating in “scene” or display referred space. Now, without opening that can of worms :slight_smile: I’ll just say that I found the slope/offset/power sliders adequate enough for my needs

P.S: btw, I’ve tagged the current head with 0.1 as you requested. I’ve also deleted all the RT tags from the ART repo to avoid confusion

but, thinking about this a bit more, I might add also a divide slider, which should let you manipulate contrast more easily… I’ll do some experiments

So, I’ve just added a “pivot” slider to the Color Correction module. The formula is now the following: y = (\frac{x \cdot slope + offset}{pivot})^{power} \cdot pivot, which allows you to control both brightness and contrast easily:

• brightness is x \cdot slope
  • contrast is (\frac{x}{pivot})^{power} \cdot pivot, where pivot is typically around the middle gray point (so about 0.18 assuming your input tonal range is in [0,1])

Let me know how that works!

3 Likes

Formulas are very helpful to understand what is happening.
As I never used the color correction module in RT, I have to experiment to become more efficient with this tool.
The use of the four sliders is not straightforward for me as they interact. Its the drawback of a very versatile tool.
Effectively it is possible to control brighness and contrast.
Thanks

https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/ART-W64NightlyBuilds/ART_alberto-dev_0.1-8-g23b139b25_W64_SSE4_190908.zip
uploaded

@agriggio @gaaned92 I have put in place the automated win64 build for ART, first package is available here: Release Continuous build · aferrero2707/art-win64 · GitHub

I will now prepare the same for the Linux AppImages.

Took a bit more than expected, but the similarities with RT are such that I expect the package to work out-of-the-box.

2 Likes

a quick win10 64bit test worked fine - thanks

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Really appreciated. FYI, I have cleaned up the ART repo a little bit, and in the process I’ve renamed the main branch from alberto-dev to master. I suppose this matters for the automated builds.

ART_master_0.1-26-gaad5e9fcb_W64_SSE4_190913.zip
uploaded at
https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/ART-W64NightlyBuilds

I enjoy the automatic perspective correction plus autocrop

There are still glitches when deactivating the crop tool. I will report if you need.
the cursor stays as in crop tool for modifying crop zone.

1 Like

please do. I am changing the crop ui, so glitches are expected for a while… the sooner they are discovered, the better :slight_smile:

There was a lot of discussion about the crop tool.
What I would like:

If crop tool is activated:

• if tool GUI is expanded, the crop region is displayed. it can be set, reset, modified.
  • if tool GUI is reduced, then only crop region is shown. it cannot be modified

glitches with master_0.1-21-g9a05a02d9

• perspective correction activated and autocrop selected. crop tool is activated but the crop zone is not shown.

• rotate is deactivated but there was a rotation applied by the perspective correction. if you select straight line, the rotation cursor appears and effective rotation will activate the tool. I don’t like that I prefer first activate the tool the select straight line. If you click the hand tool yo go back to normal cursor.

• To show the crop zone it needs to click on crop/select and put the cursor inside the display zone. And the zoom is reset.
    A hand cursor appears to move the crop, but it is not the hand tool!

• To move the canvas, you have to click on the hand tool but then the crop zone disappears! and the zoom is reset (I don’t know to what)

Now imagine that I want to zoom for instance at 200% to adjust the crop zone. It is only possible by using the navigator panel

Hope I was clear :flushed:

did you try the current art behaviour? it’s essentially like that, but instead of reacting to expanding/collapsing the tool, it depends on whether you select/deselect the crop tool in the toolbar

• yes with last build master_0.1-21-g9a05a02d9

• It is essentially the behavior described above and the complete canvas is displayed when deselecting the crop tool. That would be better that only the crop zone be displayed without changing the zoom when deselecting the tool.
    The only possibility to deselectthe crop tool is to select an other tool.
    the behavior of the crop tool in the toolbar should be the same as the select button in the crop GUI.

• the activation of crop tool or hand tool reset the zoom.

• What is surprising is that the cursor of the hand tool is a cross and the cursor of the crop tool is a hand!

I (respectfully) disagree :slight_smile:

in what sense are they different? can you elaborate?

this is by design.

the cursor of the crop tool is a crop, when you are outside of the crop area. it becomes a hand inside, to show that you can drag it around. I agree though that this can be confusing, I will think about something…

thanks for the feedback! :+1:

1 Like

I should also add that you can still move and resize the crop without changing the zoom level: just use shift+drag inside the crop area for moving, and ctrl+drag over the edges for resizing

I respectfully disagree also.

When the crop is done to taste, when you deselect the crop tool, the only thing you want to see is the cropped zone. It becomes the new image. all things external to this zone is useless and disturbing.

So what is the way to see only the cropped zone?

I thought as you referenced only the select in the tool bar that you were going to give an other function to the crop/select button.

In my opinion, defective design.

Yes I know. bad trick.
Either the crop tool is selected and you can modify the crop zone or it is selected and active and you see only the cropped zone. That is more understandable.

• Why crop tool is not selected when using auto crop?

That is my opinion but I can accomodate of other solution.

I understand the rationale for showing the whole image when selecting the crop. A crop is something that affects the whole image.
On the other hand the crop also affects details at the border of the crop: I do want to crop out disturbing elements but keep things I like. I sometimes move the border just by 1-2 pixels :wink: And that currently is difficult as I can’t pan the image in crop mode (moves the selection) and selecting the crop tool while zoomed into the area of interest ART zooms out again. I can imagine a solution: If no crop is selected yet selecting the crop tool zooms out automatically to select an initial (rough) crop. If the tool is selected while already a crop is active keep the zoom level. Probably we want to auto-zoom out in other situations like when the user selects a different crop ratio - not easy to judge when zoomed in.

BTW @gaaned92 deselecting a tool can be done by mouse right-button-click somewhere in the image. That seems to automatically zoom to the cropped area.

One bug though: Zooming out reveals the whole image when I select “background color of the preview: theme based (Shortcut: 9)” instead of painting a semi-translucent mask.

And one last thing: RawTherapee has an (inactive?) branch “rawcrop” that IMO is supposed to really crop the image so that further editing only is done with the cropped pixels instead of the whole image. Could you have a look if you can integrate that?