Need help figuring out X-T1 default DT processing

Hi,

I am 200% amateour photographer and out of many products chose darktable as my photo management/editing software. I mostly do jpg and occasionally play with raw on my A7C and XT1. Now, on A7C, the default raw post processing is very very good, XT1 pictures come out kind of dark and colorless. What is the best way to fix it? Attaching an example. Would anybody help me to find a best default edit for XT1?
Thanks in advance,
Andy

Hi @andy, welcome. Can you give us more detail? What modules are you generally using?

1 Like

Mostly base modules like cropping, exposure correction and minor edits. In the attached example, I wonder how to quickly pull better colors. I found a color lookup module in meantime which kind of is getting me closer to out of the camera result.

To answer the specific question, go to Color Balance RGB and using the hamburger menu, select one of the standard default colors preset.

But i think it is important to read the manual. This section goes into detail one how to get started.

https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/4.0/en/overview/workflow/process/#image-processing-in-3-modules

Also, one of our member has an excellent YouTube channel with a ton of videos. The most recent ones reflect the most recent versions of darktable.

1 Like

darktable does the same processing for all cameras (unless you have defined camera-specific, automatically applied module presets). Parameters (demosaicing method, input colour profile, noise reduction, lens corrections) will vary, of course. Fuji cameras may need (and maybe get?) higher default exposure compensation. However, no attempt is made to emulate the in-camera processing.

You may find some Fuji-like styles and LUTs here, but even those can be applied to any camera:

1 Like

tempImagemYKSmt.jpg.xmp (8.3 KB)
Took a quick run at your jpgā€¦ I actually like it better than the Sony as a starting image for color and detailā€¦

1 Like

Morning, @andy, and welcome!

There is no ā€œcorrectā€ development recipe
for any camera. Mostly it is a matter of tasteā€¦

Regarding your X-T1 (and presumably the entire Fuji X-range):
darktableā€™s exposure module has to be tweaked a bit.

darktable opens in the lighttable view.
Look at the bottom of the left ā€œcolumnā€
= the script manager. Start fujifilm_dynamic_range.

That will automatically tweak the exposure module
for your Fuji shots, based on your cameraā€™s DR settings.

Of course you can perform this tweak manually as well:
For DR100 shots, set exposure to (0.5 + 0.72) = 1.22.
That will give you a basic Fuji start.

More informatiuon here darktable lua documentation - fujifilm_dynamic_range

More general info is easy to find on youtube,
Boris Hajdukovicā€™s series, as well as our antipodean forumerā€™s presentations,
for instance darktable ep 069 - A newbie's introduction to darktable - YouTube

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

Hi!

I also have an X-T1 and bunch of auto-applied presets for some modules.
Iā€™ve made an general purpose preset for you as a starting point:

Fujifilm X-T1 Starting Point.dtstyle (4.8 KB)

Imagesā€™ brightness will strongly depend on given DR Mode set in the camera.
I start from +1,35 EV for DR100, about +2,35 and +3,35 for DR200 and DR400 respectively.

Note: ISOā€™s above 1600 are artificial in this camera, so even if youā€™ve set DR100 and shoot at ISO 3200 or 6400, the camera uses 1600 in fact and compensates in postprocessing JPGs.

When loaded in darktable, such photos will show -1 and -2 EV underexposure, as darktable doesnā€™t cheat on users and show RAWs as they really are :slight_smile:

Anyway, donā€™t be scared to use ā€œbigā€ numbers in Exposure module.

Edit: darkatble used in v.4.0 ā€¢ scene-referred + modern color adaptation workflow ā€¢ filmic v6

3 Likes

How ever many replies you get here will be the number of different default processing orders recommended. As others have said there is no specific right order. However, for my five cents worth. I have made a style setting (see manual for how to do this) that applies denoise (profiled) at the default settings, the demosaicing sharpen pre-set from the diffuse or sharpen module, and the pre-set for basic colorfullness from the color balance RGB module. This I do before using other modules. Then my typical standard steps are:

1. Set white balance as filmic wants correct color balance
  2. Adjust exposure if required
  3. Try filmicā€™s auto tune levels (works well on most images, but not all)
  4. Use tone equalizer if required to brighten or darken the shadows, highlights or midtones.
  5. Activate local contrast module and see if it improves the image. More often than not it does.
  6. Since tone equalizer impacts contrast, return to filmic and adjust the contrast slider if needed.
  7. Use other modules as required, but this is a typical start to my work flow.

Good luck

2 Likes

Hi Andy,
I havenā€™t tried it myself yet Iā€™m a bit short on time atm, but I would be looking at the sets of chroma and saturation sliders in color balance rgb. Itā€™s amazing how much flexibility there is using theseā€¦ sorry for the vague reply!
Someone else may have mentioned this already :thinking:

1 Like

Similar approach here - my style includes i.a. denoising, best demosaicing possible, custom Filmic parameters + special tweak in Colour Calibration to fix the reds, which by default look too cold & magenta.

For that, remember also that you can right-click on the ā€œexposureā€ slider and then enter any value with the keyboard, the default maximum of 4EV is just a convenience, since the slider must have a maximum value.

2 Likes

To be honest, itā€™s my default way of interacting with darktable :sweat_smile: Putting numbers instead of moving sliders. And some presets of course.

presets

2 Likes

Thx all fo the resources and references. I also found this Why do darktable colours look like sh*t ? (And other colour appearance matters) - YouTube - the point how cameras implement jpeg processing using LUT is enlightening. Super happy to learn the actual logic behind so called ā€œcolor scienceā€.

@priort small correction. Both pictures are from XT1. Mentioning A7C I meant that DarkTable defaults seems to be closer to the basic Sony jpeg post processing.

Also, i noticed that discourse converts my raw file into ā€¦ JPEG (a bit confusing). Not sure how can I apply your sidecar on my RAW file then.

This is coincidence.

1 Like

Sorry my misunderstandingā€¦sidecar wont be of much useā€¦I did it on your JPGā€¦so you would need to share the raw file and I and others could demonstrate what we think might helpā€¦you can just upload the raw using the post upload iconā€¦

1 Like

I tried 3 times, and every time my RAF file is converted to JPEG. For some reason.

How are you posting?? you mentioned discourse?? It should have no issue if you just create a new post on the pixls.us site and click the little upload buttonā€¦

Hi Michal,
you mention best demosaicing possible. I do consider this with very noisy images but usually just accept the default. Would you like to share some of your experiences with the different algorithms and which ones you recommend.