Need help for fusing images

Hi All,

I rarely use hugin (I know very little about it). What I am trying to do is to fuse images. I had some successes like this one (the Eiffel Tower)

but it always worked using the simplified interface. I just align the images and click create panorama.

Some times however the result is very unexpected - like this.

even the images are the same. I am trying to fuse them because I don’t have ND filter.
Would you be able to point me in the right direction please?
Hugin is a fantastic program but a lot of the interface - the terminology is something that I am struggling to comprehend.
At the same time - the few times I have used it - I have had fantastic results.
Its just when I end up in a situation like this - I can’t seems to find an easy way out.

Thank you.

If you have sample files, that would be great. The thing about Hugin is there are lots of settings. It may be difficult to describe things in words, especially when the details in your post are sparse.

I am reducing the number of images to 5 and the size a bit. The behavior is the same so - I don’t think there is a need to upload the big files. They are available of course if you do need them.
20220618_210915_9650_hdr_01.tif (7.0 MB)
20220618_210918_9651_hdr_01.tif (7.0 MB)
20220618_210921_9652_hdr_01.tif (7.0 MB)
20220618_210925_9653_hdr_01.tif (7.0 MB)
20220618_210927_9654_hdr_01.tif (7.0 MB)

And the hugin project itself
20220618_210915_9650_align3.pto (14.4 KB)

My hope is that I can learn how to adjust the settings myself…

As your images are already aligned you don’t really need Hugin to do the blending - something as simple as “enfuse --output=myoutput.jpg 2022*tif” from the command line will do what you’re looking for.

If you need a GUI, Hugin can work, but it gets confused sometimes (its default mode is to stitch panoramas, and the further out from this you get the higher chance of errors creeping in.)

For the set you uploaded, I would recommend selecting “Advanced” from the Interface menu; the project you uploaded here you’ll see that Hugin has assigned each image to a separate stack (a stack is a group of pictures that share the same point of view, and should be blended or fused together.) In this case it looks like the confusion was caused by cloud and water movement.

Since these photos are all aligned (your tripod looks sturdy enough) best course of action would be to set all the images to the same stack, reset your positions, delete all your control points and camera and output data and then stitch.

From the “Photos” tab, select all the photos, right-click and select “Stacks - > Change Stack” and enter “0”, which will tell Hugin that they are all part of the same picture.

Right-click again (making sure all photos are still selected) and select “Control Points → Remove Control Points”.

Right-click again and go to “Reset”, and use each of the options there.

(Alternately, start over with a new project, just load them into the “Advanced” view and make sure they all get the same stack number.)

Once you have that done (either starting over or resetting everything), in the Geometric Optimizer make sure “Positions (incremental, starting from anchor)” is selected, and hit “Calculate”

Go to the “Stitcher” tab, set projection to “rectilinear”, then click once on “Calculate Field of View”, then “Calculate Optimal Size”, and “Fit Crop to Images”. Then click “Stitch!” in bottom right corner.

If you want to check the output before stitching, you can open the “GL” preview.

2 Likes

Thank you!

The guidance is very much appreciated. I was able to produce a good output and I am learning a lot.
I am afraid I won’t be able to utilize the short method of enfuse

I am using PopOS (based on Ubuntu 22.04). It appears Canonical decided to drop enfuse. It is part of the Hugin flatpak but it is not available by itself.

Since my knowledge is limited - I think I am going to focus on learning more about Hugin based on the info you provided.

Fair enough. The “Advanced” and “Expert” UI options can look intimidating, but they’re pretty straightforward. Although I mostly use Hugin for generating panoramas, I’m happy to help - if you have any other questions feel free to ask. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I appreciate it!

To my understanding, you could use enfuse in Hugin. Therefore, it should be available on your system. Hugin is essentially a package of many tools.

In PopOS Hugin is not distributed as a .deb it is distributed as a Flatpak
This is why it is not available from the command line.

Unless of course I can execute a package from the Flatpak environment (and I don’t know how to do that).

Also - to my understanding Ubuntu moved in a similar way from .deb to a snap package.

1 Like