Two of my favorite

Vancouver approaching the evening. Might have used polarizing filter on this one.

Evening in Paris. For this one I used maybe 10 pictures and combined them in Hugin (averaging). This is why there are so many lights on the tower :grinning:
I remember I was on such a hurry for this one - barely managed to put the tripod on. I think even the ISO was higher but as soon as I noticed that there is something on the screen I kept shooting.
Only after I combined the images the complete picture was revealed.

Used Canon 70D with 18-135 STM
Processed in Darktable with addition of Hugin for the Paris one.

13 Likes

I especially like the Vancouver image. This looks like such a calm, beautiful evening.
Well done, and thanks for sharing!
What do you think a polarizer would have done to enhance this specific picture?

1 Like

Just be aware that copyright is claimed for the lighting on the Eiffel Tower (the tower itself is in the public domain). Although that copyright claim hasnā€™t been tested yet, afaikā€¦ (and to be complete, copyright doesnā€™t cover you taking an image, only publishing is involved).

It is actually illegal to show it yes. so I would recommend removing the 2nd image.

Source:

Bad information, pervasive on English-speaking sites.

This guy is definitely closer to the truth. In short and in English:

• The actual copyright owner is the company that commissioned the work: The SociĆ©tĆ© dā€™Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel.
  • They only require the pictures to be accompanied by the mention: ā€œĀ© SETE - Illuminations Pierre Bideauā€

It seems to be a bit more complicated than that (according to wikipedia
E.g. this quote from the director of the copyright holder:

ā€œIt is really just a way to manage commercial use of the image, so that it isnā€™t used in ways [of which] we donā€™t approveā€

Also this page from the official Eiffel tower website seems to say that non-professional use does not require permission.

That certainly does not seem to be the case for professional useā€¦ (but that only concerns the illumination, not the tower itself, which is free to use, French law not recognising ā€œpublic domainā€ the same way e.g. the USA does).

But in the end, if you really need to publish such an image and want to be sure, talk to a lawyer or ā€œSETEā€. There are too many subleties involved otherwise. And I didnā€™t want to spawn a legal discussion here, just a heads-up that there are limitations with this kind of images (as with any image of recent buildings/art work). And those limitations have limitations (I hope you like recursion :P)

It darkened a bit the top right blue corner. I was shooting with a friend and I believe I borrowed his filter. But there were few pictures so I donā€™t remember everything :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you All!
I havenā€™t sold the picture so it is give or take a personal use. I did hear about claim on lighting for some places like

But I was never concerned as it is for personal use.

And I can include
ā€œĀ© SETE - Illuminations Pierre Bideauā€

1 Like