Need Help with Sharpening

Sorry. I dont understand :frowning:

Evidently I have somehow activated something that is adding some type of emphasis for my text,

What I tried to type was:

There is NOT a provision for showing Displayed %.

Then I tried to tell why I wanted to know is because when

Displayed image is excessive (much above 100 ) when working with Sharpening, wrong results can be assumed when displayed is large (excessive large above 100 %)

Hope this does NOT get the automatic emphasis that was effective before…

I did NOT purposely select anything that caused the BOLD change of the message.

Arghh, not your fault I guess :+1:

Can you try to embrace your message by three leading ` and three closing ` ?

’ Evidently I have somehow activated something that is adding some type of emphasis for my text,

What I tried to type was:

‘There is NOT a provision for showing Displayed %.’

Then I tried to tell why I wanted to know is because when display is excessive large above 100 % -- and making Sharpening adjustments, The sharpening can be mis-judged because of the % display being so large

‘Tried to get rid of the BOLD JUNK but no luck’

When sharpening is far above 100 % and trying to make sharpening adjustments a person can have difficulties for judging sharpening because of the used Percent displayed.

I found what is activation the BOLD part it is when the percent symbol is used.

NOTE: Edited to add. I mis read your message and used only one ’ instead of three at beginning and end. However, see above that I found what is causing the Bold junk.

Just a thought: If you are using RT 5.8 just disable the Sharpening in Details tab, this one:
grafik

But use this:
grafik

1 Like

Yes, I am using 5.8. Thanks for that information especially since I have NOT been able to get acceptable (and logical) sharpening. I have been trying to use the one you identified to NOT use. Does this NOT use one have problems or is the other just better for good results.

I expose a lot of images with people (family groups and other Portrait types) and (in my opinion) sharpening needs to be especially controlled. More critical than for scenery.

Did you do something regarding the BOLD test since all posts appear to NOT have any of this now.

The sharpening in details tab (the one at top of my screenshot), is applied almost at the end of the processing (just before resize and save to tiff or jpg). It can introduce sharpening halos.

The capture sharpening in raw tab is applied very early in processing, just after demosaic and therefore is much less prone to halos.

Additionally, as Capture Sharpening is applied very early, you can see its outcome even at less than 100% preview (of course less than at 100% preview because of downsizing, but still)

This is really helpful comments especially since you described exactly the issue I was having regarding Halos.
I really appreciate you working with me and being very helpful while I try to learn more regarding proper use of this software.

Hopefully, my experimenting regarding Capture Sharpening will get me “over the hump” for the very important function of Sharpening.
Thanks again …

1 Like

I guess it will :wink:

Please give feedback :+1:

Unfortunately, I have not (so far) been able to match the sharpening method I use in Photoshop when displaying the image (after sharpening) that is very clear with a “crisp” appearance like viewing a photo printed on a good grade of Glossy Photo Paper.

The RT Capture sharpening seems to rather quickly over sharpen to appear like sand paper. This of course can be reduced or eliminated by “backing off” the sharpening settings. The RT sharpened image (so far) has a duller (non crisp) appearance especially for the darker parts of the image (test image is a Family Group picture).

Also, there are some slight glare lighted areas on faces which are close to or above 255.

In Photoshop, I normally first select Highlights then invert to select shadows and apply USM sharpening of normally 30-20-0 and occasionally slightly higher 40-30-0. Using either of these settings have little to NO effect in the issue of changes Highlights close to 255 or above.

When sharpening the entire image (not just to shadows) this sometimes adversely affects the Highlights to be too high - as described above.

Is there a way in RT to select Shadows or select highlights then invert to select shadows so to be able to apply sharpening ONLY to the shadows ?

@vern Thanks for the feedback.

Capture sharpening is not meant to match Photoshop sharpening. Photoshop sharpening is output sharpening while capture sharpening is input sharpening (immediately after demosaic)

Can you show an example? I’m really interested.

Not for Capture Sharpening

Have you tried the RL Deconvolution sharpening in RT? I find it to be loads better than any type of USM

1 Like

Hello @Vern,

If you want to learn more about RawTherapee you can take advantage of some some video tutorials on YouTube :slight_smile:

Just to name a few (there is also the sharpening topic…):

1 Like

Regarding: Have you tried the RL Deconvolution sharpening in RT?
No I have not but I will give it a try.
I will continue with the present image with the Capture Sharpening applied and go to the “Final Image Sharpening” using the suggested method instead of using USM — Thanks

Unfortunately, I have not adapted to the You Tube presentations for trying to learn – the reason is that the images are so VERY small and hard to know what is being selected (in menus) in the Author’s presentations. This applies to all of the various You Tube “Mini Movies” that I have attempted to use and not just to RT subjects.

I can’t post the test image (even if I knew how) on a public Forum. I may later use a different image (without people in the image) and adjust up to the current status of test image and find out how to post the illustration I discussed.

Capture sharpening also is RL Deconvolution, though at a different step in RT pipeline

Hello @vern

Unfortunately, I have not adapted to the You Tube presentations for trying to learn – the reason is that the images are so VERY small and hard to know what is being selected (in menus)

Yeah. You are right.
This is particulary true for the videos I have just suggested you.
Actually, they are much more meant for advanced users…

What about this one (Sharpening stuff…):

Needless to say, you can continue asking questions on this forum as well.
This is the reason for which it has been created: to help users :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regarding my original question:
Can this ( selecting shadows) be done in RT prior to and to be used for ANY type sharpening in RT.

This presentation ( as far as I watched – and listened) first 3 to 4 minutes is primarily ONLY audio. Unfortunately, my hearing is not the best. Guess it faded even before I got older (I will be 88 next month). However, I do appreciate you trying to help me.

I am not one to give up easily but (so far) I am getting the impression that my present procedures and programming TOOLS are not so bad and I am having a hard time finding better methods for improvement.