New GPU for Darktable/ video encoding

gfx803 (which I believe the RX580 is?) no longer supported for ROCm-4.0

https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm/issues/1353

1 Like

From a couple of queries on my system:
rocm-opencl4.0.0 | Paket | 3.6Beta_17_g875c1f8_rocm_rel_4.0_23-1 | x86_64 | rocm
gfx803
OpenCL 1.2

Official suppot or not, for the time it seems to work on my system. But that info leaves a bit of a taste. Thanks for the heads up. Just deactivated the repo so I can manually update and see if it breaks or not

Another user with rx580 without problems. I installed it mixing open source drivers + AMDGPU pro to use openCL with darktable.

I played tomb raider with steam until the end.
Several months ago I tried to learn blender, I couldnā€™t learn it but it worked fine meanwhile.

Tomorrow Iā€™ll review the link that someone shared for this setup, if itā€™s not the same Iā€™ll share the link with the script that I used.

Good night :sleeping:

@rgo, to clarify, I had no issues with my RX580, until it came to using software which used heavy OpenCL calculations.

1 Like

I guarantee you it didnā€™t. Try setting up OpenCL and rendering just maybe 30 seconds of a simple glitch animation in FHD in Cycles and let me know how long it takes. Probably like 30 minutes.

1 Like

I shouldnā€™t wonder if those issues are related to the combination of most recent hardware and outdated and broken (ā€œpatchedā€) software that comes with non-rolling-release distributions. Iā€™m especially finger pointing (K)Ubuntu here, for which I can tell stories about long-term software problems. Those problems were gone as soon as I switched to Manjaro. :grin:

And Iā€™m not a fanboy of AMD either. A long time ago I owned an ATI card, but found it no as stable. The next two graphics cards were from NVidia, currently a GTX 750 TI. It is really stable and works well with OpenCL using proprietary drivers, and cost only 150ā‚¬ at that time. But this card is quite old now, so Iā€™m looking for a replacement.

Recent articles from 2020 at phoronix.com claim that the situation regarding the newest AMD cards (ā€œBig Naviā€, RX 6800 Series) under Linux Kernel 5.9 and above is changing towards surprisingly superior FOSS drivers, at least when comparing performance against the older generations from AMD. These FOSS drivers also seem to be very competitive against NVidia under Linux. Although the articles only benchmark performance and power consumption, I have the feeling that this great performance indicates that the drivers are also stable enough.

I wonder if itā€™s time in 2021 to say ā€œGood bye NVidia, hello AMDā€ ??? Unfortunately the actual prices for RX 6800 cards are much to high, so I would definitively wait for prices to come down to less than 550ā‚¬. I donā€™t play games and solely use it for OpenCL with darktable (and vkdt in some day). I know that a graphics card for 200-350ā‚¬ would do the job either, but I would spent the extra money if I get a really fast and stable card with FOSS drivers that works for the next 10 years.

1 Like

@rkowalke, sadly it seems that the OpenCL implementation on AMD cards is not at all stable. I had issues on both Kubuntu, and Manjaro KDE on my RX580.

It would also appear that AMD is also with drawing support for some Radeon cards with the ROCm 4.0 release. So sometimes having the latest and greatest via rolling releases isnā€™t so good if it results in support for your graphics card being withdrawn.

Iā€™d personally rather use closed source drivers which work, rather than opensource ones which do not.

Iā€™ve certainly had my fingers burned with AMD Radeon GPUs. I suspect my next GPU will be something along the lines of an Nvidia GTX1660 Super or similar.

1 Like

As long as they push the needed functionality upstream, I would be fine with that.

Donā€™t worry I understood that. In fact, I added the tomb raider comment as a ā€œheavyā€ openCL operations but maybe they arenā€™t. :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™ll check it tomorrow, if I have time to sit in front of the computer :persevere:

More than likely Tomb Raider uses OpenGL acceleration, rather than OpenCL.

oopss , youā€™re totally right :man_facepalming:t2:

Iā€™ve only done a test with the model BMW27 (downloaded from here: Demo Files ā€” blender.org).

First time it took like 5:15-30 and next tries 4:30 aprox.
I donā€™t know if itā€™s what you were looking for.

1 Like

You see, thatā€™s just one frame and it took 4:30 in 960*540px! Imagine rendering a 10s animation :smiley:
Iā€™ve done a glitch effect where I put a lens element, and emissive path behind it. It takes roughly 60s min per frame. That is too much especially on my GPU on which they advertised millions of polygons being rendered in less than 30 seconds in 8k.

I thought, it was because of the lighting or something like that.

But yes, really slow compared to these benchmark results:

Source: Benchmark Results

• AMD works great for me !
  • No itā€™s a mess !

Guys, OpenCL is an off-loading computing library. Just because OpenGL, aka the graphics lib used in GUI painting and games real-time rendering, works ā€œgreatā€ doesnā€™t mean OpenCL is supported as well. ā€œDriversā€ mean nothing.

2 Likes

AKA AMD is :poop: for any OpenCL work. Should have gone with Nvidia and save myself a world of trouble.

2 Likes

Nvidia is still stuck at OpenCL 1.2 (2012)ā€¦ lots of candies from 2.0 and 2.2 we canā€™t use. Slightly better but not that much.

1 Like

Do you have any experience running AMD and Nvidia gpu on the same system at the same time?
I wonder if that could work ok because Iā€™d like to move to Nvidia but I donā€™t want to have an 800eur AMD gpu sitting on a shelf.

No, I have ever used laptops and whatever GPU was shipped in them (Nvidia + Intel Optimus). Bagging my whole office in a backpack is kind of required.